Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Small room for sewing

Small room for sewing

When my husband died in 2010 I waited a couple of years and then decided I no longer wanted the responsibility of a large house. So I got rid of the house and moved into a nice "seniors apt". That meant I had to give up my 11X15 sewing room, BUT NOT give up SEWING AND QUILTING. In one of my new bedrooms there was a 5'9" X6'7" closet and after a little measuring, I made it my new sewing room. There is room for my serger, and sewing machine, along one wall, and shelves on the other long wall too store my fabric stash. On the wall by the machines I put up a peg board that my DH had made for me and it holds all the rulers,etc. that I use. There is plenty of room to sit and sew and do everything I need to do except cutting....I do that on my dining room table. Also my ironing board is placed just outside the door so I just roll my chair a foot or two and can press everything. It does NOT feel claustrophobic as the door is always open when I am working in there and my machine is right next to the door. It is very light and also has an AC/H vent in there. I just open the door, open the window shades on the opposite wall of the BR and Walla!!! I am ready to sew. When I am ready to quit I just shut the door. Where there is a will, there is always a way.

Blog Entries
    very inventive. sounds like a good system
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

That sounds like a nice & cozy spot to sew.

Blog Entries
    You go girl!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Sounds like you made yourself a good place to sew and quilt. It's nice that you gave yourself the time to make the decision to move and I think you made a good decision. You still have your independence but you don't have the issues with home maintenance. Good for you!

Several years ago when I was looking for a different apt, I looked at one that had a closet like that and my first thought was "sewing room"!! Wish I had one like that now!

I miss my old house that had a room the size of yours on a half-landing. Like you, I thought the size was just perfect and not at all claustrophobic. All the best to you in your new life.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

This sounds like a wonderful and peaceful place for you.
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Sounds like a nice spot to me!

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    This seems like a great adaptation for you. The coolest thing, as far as I'd be concerned, is that you can shut the door on the whole mess and no one would be likely to open it and see inside!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast