Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
smaller iron for retreats and classes >

smaller iron for retreats and classes

smaller iron for retreats and classes

Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM

Most of the retreats I attend have limited iron access..... because of the power issue..... even at the Harrison Hot Springs Hotel..... only 1 iron for about 10 quilters.... I do use a travel iron along with my Featherweight in our little 20' RV .... it presses.... but I always like to come home & give it the final PRESS
Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 PM

I am very happy with my little Rowenta.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have a "SteamFast" iron, I bought it on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/SteamFast-SF...ds=travel+iron

I love this little iron!! Heats up fast, works great. Doesn't drip or sputter.
This is the one I use and love...I even use it beside my machine at home. I have dropped mine on my tile floor and it still works. It doesn't have an auto shut off either which I really like...
Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 AM

I have the $10 one from Joann's ($5 at 50% off). it works well. But I've been using my husband's old travel iron lately. It's a little larger the small one from Joanns, but probably isn't available any more. His is a GE F49 9480-312, which sold for $14 in the 1970's. It's dual voltage. There is a European plug adapter that I don't think I put in the box.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM

I have this older GE iron that I bought at an antique shop this summer - it's small, and works well. I even used it to iron DH's shirts while we were vacationing on our boat - used a towel on the glass stove top for an ironing board, but I plan to make a cover for the table.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]487667[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140721_173656-480x640-.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
I have this older GE iron that I bought at an antique shop this summer - it's small, and works well. I even used it to iron DH's shirts while we were vacationing on our boat - used a towel on the glass stove top for an ironing board, but I plan to make a cover for the table.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]487667[/ATTACH]
That is a very CUTE iron! I love my plastic iron but the classic look of those old chrome irons with the black cords is just so nice looking.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 AM

I purchased a small Panasonic cordless iron for retreats. The base has a retractable cord. It does have auto shutoff but reheats very quickly. It also has a detachable water tank for steam. Comes with a carry case so no worries about taking home a hot iron. It's pricey at $130. at Amazon but so worth it to be able to maneuver without the cord.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 AM

I used to travel a lot for work and so had a travel iron. Since hotels now generally have an iron in the room I hadn't used it for years until I dug it out to use for quilting classes. I rarely use it there however given than someone usually has an iron that is already set up and multiple people use it. The classes I've taken at a quilt shop always have had an iron provided.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
That is a very CUTE iron! I love my plastic iron but the classic look of those old chrome irons with the black cords is just so nice looking.
Best of all - it was only $8 ! (I love the classic look too, and this was too cute to pass on!)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to a retreat with a group of friends and we will have room to plug in our irons, although one of the ladies is bringing a full size iron and we can probably all share that one. I am also taking a class through a guild, and we have been asked to bring small irons. It does seem that if everyone has an iron there will be too big a draw on the power, so probably we won't all be able to use them at once. And I did find a very, very old travel iron that still works. I probably bought it in the 1980's. The only problem with it is that the cord drags across the fabric if you're pressing anything bigger than a block. But maybe it's the best solution for now, rather than buying yet another thing that will seldom get used.