Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: smelly cutting mat

Local Wal-Mart has closed fabric dept.(ARGHHH! I guess I didn't shop there enough to keep them in business!)

Anyway- I bought a new cutting mat- 24 x 36, pink. I needed a new one desperately. Problem is- it STINKS to high heaven. Like faint smell of skunk.

It's been 2 weeks of sitting on my cutting table and it still smells- I smell it as soon as I come up the stairs.

I don't want to cut on it in case the smell goes into the fabric. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell? Anything I can rub into it- alcohol?- without removing the lines?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. My old self healing one is 20 years old- I was thinking about it- I've had it before I quilted, wonder what possessed me to buy one so long ago? But, the lines are so deep into it, I don't know if they are accurate anymore so I figured a new and larger one was necessary.

Sit it outside for a bit...the smell will go away.
    I know others on the board have mentioned the smell and I think they too, put them outside. Some may have washed them?

Personally if it were me, I'd take it back. Maybe something got on it during shipping or something and you can exchange it for another one. I wouldnt want to risk the smell being IN it versus on it and have it come back.

Blog Entries
    If you put it outside and the sun heats it up...be sure that it is laying flat...the heat and sun will warp it.

wipe it down in vinegar(white) and wait for a couple of hours then wipe it is clear water let it dry completly that should work do fromt and back

yes, I would def watch it for too much sun...and maybe some baking soda on it and under it...but no alcohol.
    Alcohol removes ink, and is drying,...besides, you don't want a smelly, drunk mat on your hands! :shock:

OK- going to try this- vinegar and water (thanks jerrie- I believe vinegar is a cure all for everything) and then put it on the covered front porch to dry and get the smell out.

Will let you know how it works.

THANKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    OK- going to try this- vinegar and water (thanks jerrie- I believe vinegar is a cure all for everything) and then put it on the covered front porch to dry and get the smell out.

Will let you know how it works.

THANKS!!!!
    Just don't put it anyway near that beautiful car of yours (the avatar) - you wouldn't want to permeate the paint

car is safely tucked away in the garage. it came out yesterday, was pinging so spouse set the timing and then took it for a ride. I was at work. :(

Did get to see it go back into the garage. It is so nice and sounds sooo cool. Love the rumble of the pipes.

It's really pretty. Excuse my ignorance - what kind of car is it? how long have you had it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast