Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Smoke/cat smell on thread

  1. #1
    Member Joyce R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    97
    Hello everyone. I have read all of the notes on smells on fabric. What about thread? I am thinking about throwing it all away, because of the large lot of stuff I bought on craigslist, and finding sales slips dateing back to 1998. Would the thread be rotton at that age anyway. The lady smoked, and I saw a cat.

  2. #2
    Super Member gzuslivz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington
    Posts
    1,470
    Well, thread does rot. I would certainly tug on it and test it's strength.

  3. #3
    Super Member JulieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Emmitsburg, MD
    Posts
    1,603
    Seeing a cat and smelling cat on thread are two different things. Do you smell the cat on the thread?

    Yes, I'd test its strength at that age. The smoke smell should wash out (assuming you wash your quilts before giving them away) but if you smell cat pee, toss it all.

    Julie, Catmom

  4. #4
    Member Joyce R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    97
    I dont really smell cat as much as smoke. Some of the fabric has discoloration on the edges where it was folded. The stuff I have washed with oxiclean seems to have come out. I will tug on the the thread and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

  5. #5
    Junior Member PrettyCurious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    196
    Sweet PDZ© -used in horse barns absorbs/neutralizes amonia commonly found in cat urine. It add it to my cats box, and you can't even tell we have a cat.
    So if I had that thread, I'd probably put it in a strainer sitting over a bowl of PDZ, with some plastic wrap over the top for a night. Although, it shouldn't take over night to do the trick.

  6. #6
    Super Member quilttiludrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lebanon, Oregon
    Posts
    1,420
    I just read on another post today, that if you put the quilt/thread in a plastic bag with a bar of soap that it would remove the offending odor. I haven't tried it myself.

  7. #7
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,759
    Quote Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
    I just read on another post today, that if you put the quilt/thread in a plastic bag with a bar of soap that it would remove the offending odor. I haven't tried it myself.
    That works. Use either Dial or Safeguard deodorant soap. I bought a whole bolt of a fusible grid at an auction and of course there's no way to wash that. I put it in a bag with a bar of soap and the smoke smell disappeared.

  8. #8
    Super Member BarbaraSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    near Peoria Illinois
    Posts
    1,642
    Blog Entries
    2
    Test the thread. Some of it from back then is still strong because it depends on the % of poly in the content. Not all of the thread compnaies were good with labels that would remain with the spool once used.

  9. #9
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,851
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
    Sweet PDZ© -used in horse barns absorbs/neutralizes amonia commonly found in cat urine. It add it to my cats box, and you can't even tell we have a cat.
    So if I had that thread, I'd probably put it in a strainer sitting over a bowl of PDZ, with some plastic wrap over the top for a night. Although, it shouldn't take over night to do the trick.
    Where do you get the Sweet PDZ? I have 3 cats and would really like to know!! also, how much do you use?

  10. #10
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,246
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks for the great tip

    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
    I just read on another post today, that if you put the quilt/thread in a plastic bag with a bar of soap that it would remove the offending odor. I haven't tried it myself.
    That works. Use either Dial or Safeguard deodorant soap. I bought a whole bolt of a fusible grid at an auction and of course there's no way to wash that. I put it in a bag with a bar of soap and the smoke smell disappeared.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.