Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snow Day Design Wall and pressing board >

Snow Day Design Wall and pressing board

Snow Day Design Wall and pressing board

Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 AM

I decided that I needed a design wall. I had tried laying my projects on the bed, not a good idea since that process attracted the dogs and cat. Next I tried pinning blocks and fabrics on the curtains. Well, that was OK, but not satisfactory. Next idea was to hang a piece of batting over the closet doors, again that was OK, but I found that I needed to get in the closet too much. The final solution was to purchase three 1 inch insulation boards, I wanted 4 foot wide boards, but my local hardware store did not have that size. The boards were 8 foot by 2 foot wide. Since I am rather vertically challenged, I cut 20 inches off the top. Actually all I did was to reach as high as I could on the board and mark it. It was easy to cut using a utility knife and snap off the short pieces. I then got out my best roll of duct tape and improvised it to make flexable hinges for the board. That way it can be folded and put away if needed.

I had purchased some cheap cotton batting to cover it. That was a bad idea. It was nasty stuff, and knew that it would not work well at all. So I had to use my last big piece of Quilters Dream .

I also made a small pressing board. Because my work space is so small, the ironing board was set up in the bedroom. I got tired of going off to the bedroom to do my seam pressing. The solution was to use the bamboo cutting board my stepson gave me for Christmas. I covered it with foil, then a piece of Quilters Dream batting, and a piece of heavy muslin. Perfect!

Sorry for the quality of the photos, my work space does not have good lighting. That might be the next project.

Design Wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135709[/ATTACH]

Pressing board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-135704.jpe   attachment-135705.jpe  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM

Good work! Sometimes, you have to just do it!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Great job. I tried to do the same thing but ended up attaching my loose flannel to the curtain rod over the window because I have no room for a large board. Love the press board.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:59 PM

As many of us are, I am work space challenged. The ironing board was too big and in the way (also tended to attract random things) imagine that!
So, I found a microwave stand with two lower open shelves and on wheels at a yard sale. Covered it with insul brite covered that with muslin and now have not only a great ironing surface it multi tasks with its shelves. Oh, and it is at the correct height for me to simply turn in my chair and go from sewing to ironing/pressing and then back to sewing.
Cost stand - $5.00
cover material- $3.00
not too bad if I say so myself!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM

I may copy your design wall. I don't have room to permantly put one up. I like the looks of your iron. I've not seen one like that before. I think I will be looking for one soon.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM

It is really working well. When I am done with it (fat chance!) it folds up to about 4 inches in width and I can store it between the armoir and wall in the bedroom. It is very light and easy to move.

The iron was purchased from Amazon. It is a travel iron and came with an adapter so it can be used in foreign countries. I love it. :mrgreen: