Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
snowball quilt >

snowball quilt

snowball quilt

Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 AM

I want to make a snowball lap quilt but don't know how much fabric I need. Want to make the snowballs in various blues, thinking FQ's and the corners in white. Does anyone know or have a computer program that could figure it out for me? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. The alternative is to buy lots and lots of fabric and while I wouldn't have objected last year, this year with economic situation the way it is, that would be a hardship. Besides, I'm not a "blue" person and would hate to have so much of it left. (this quilt is a gift!) Thanks again. ;-)
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
k3n
Power Poster

I've got quilt wizard and I think snowball is in there, haven(t loaded it on this computer yet. If you let me know what block size and how many I can give it a go!

K x
Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 PM

I was thinking of 6" blocks - I guess 8 across and 10 down - so that would equal 80 blocks . Thanks so much for your offer to help. I appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

I found that EQ quilt programs are very exaggerated when it lists the amount of fabric needed for a quilt. :shock:
Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM

want some blue scraps to make it scrappy? pm me your addy and I'll pop a few in the mail. no charge, just thinning out the herd.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:23 PM

Oh - that's really sweet of you. I hadn't thought of asking for scraps, but sure, if you want to get rid of them, I'll take them. As I said, I'm not a blue person, so have very little blues here. Thank you.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:24 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I found that EQ quilt programs are very exaggerated when it lists the amount of fabric needed for a quilt. :shock:
You're right Bella but it's not a bad (sneaky!) way to add to your stash :wink:

Seriously, I always work out myself the yardage the program gives for borders and binding because that is REALLY excessive but the block yardages are usually not TOO bad!

However, Loretta's post seems to do the job? Let me know if you still want me to see what my program comes up with.

k x
Old 02-18-2009, 02:26 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Sorry Red, just reread your post and note that you specifically don't want leftovers! :oops:

K x
Old 02-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Loretta, thanks for the 2 patterns. The first one - done in blues is just what I'm planning to do and it was great to see what it will look like. The second is gorgeous. Maybe next time....... (love the border of squares and just may do that on this one) I guess I can probably do the math and figure how many 6" squares I'll get from each FQ and how many strips for corners. Just don't like to tax my brain so I figured if someone could give me the easy way out - why not? :lol: