Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snowball quilt? >

Snowball quilt?

Snowball quilt?

Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by pugmom
I have never quilted but now I think I want to start with a king size (I know I am nuts) Snowball quilt. How do you know how much fabric to buy for your blocks? The center pieces and the corners?

Thanks so much and I love seeing all your beautiful work.
For the center 6.5" squares you will need a little over 5 yards of fabric.

For the 2.5" corner snowballs, you will need almost 3 yards if you are snowballing all four corners. (168 x 4 = 672 corner squares)

Jan in VA

Seems like a lot doesn't it? But true!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
snowball quilts are fun and cool to do!!! i would use a TON of different fabrics in the centers ( i am a scrappy girl!!) and then use all the same solids in the corners....my favorite is BLACK. this gives the eye a place to rest when looking at all those great wonderful colors in the blocks....have fun!!

jodi in leavenworth
Your idea sounds terrific.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM

With everyone ones input, it makes the thought of making a quilit not so scary. Once you break it down into size and pieces it makes more sense to me.

JoAnn's owes me a check for over $250 (I took my Accuquilt Go back as it did not work right and I thought it would waste too much fabric the way it cut) so when I get that I can go shopping.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by pugmom
I am just outside Topeka. I think you are an hour or so away.
since you are so close, maybe we could meet up!! do you ever get into kansas city?? on superbowl sunday, one of the quilt shops does a great 1.00 sale of fats ( must buy 25 ) you gotta be there early....i'm ususally in line at 10 and end up spending way too much but it is fun!! a group of us go and after the first walk through, we sit on the floor and trade, then put back what we don't want and shop some more!! LMK....we always go unless the roads are icky....

jodi
Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 PM

There is a calculator for snowball blocks on About.com I think!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM

That would be great but since hubby is off work, money is very tight right now. Let me know closer to the date and we'll see if there is any spare change in the couch.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 AM

i agree with you about things being tight but this is my one big splurge for the year...well, maybe 1 or 2 more!! but if you want to go, i'm sure we could work something out. at 1.00 each ( 4.00 a yard) and this is 90 per cent really good stuff. every once in awhile, you'll find a thin piece ( normal for any LQS ) but this is my chance to stock up on a lot of fabric for a small price. i keep thinking she is going to raise the price but it's been a dollar a FQ for as long as i've been going. you'll find blenders, batiks, solids, novelities, poka dots....you name it, it's there but you don't get a chance to inspect each FQ....just grab, toss into your bag, grab another and stuff it in too!! when your bag is full ( takes about 10 minutes ) we go out front and sort through our treasuere...trade...and put back on the tables...then do it all again!!!! when you are really finished, you dump out your horde, the girls count them at the cutting table and you go up and pay....beleive it or not, the whole thing takes less than an hour and they claim to sell about 10,000 FQ's and i beleive them

the sale date is superbowl sunday at 1:00 but you need to be in line by 10 to get the best choice. i've seen people who pull into the parking lot at 4 minutes to 1 and think they can just walk to the front of the line NOT GONNA HAPPEN....the owner holds the door open and makes them go to the back of the line but to tell the truth, if the fire martial ever drove by, the would shut them down....it is a madhouse....but FUN!!

LMK...superbowl sunday in kansas city

jodi