Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO aggravated! >

SO aggravated!

SO aggravated!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 PM

I ordered a Moda layer cake (hushabye), got it, cut it the way it needed to be, sewed it the way it needed to be sewn. Pressed my blocks, and they are so wonky its not even funny. I thought my seems were right while sewing and I think my cutting was WAY off. The little pinked edges :thumbdown:are throwing me off not only when cutting but maybe when sewing too! Not to add to the fact that my CDO (you see I have ocd so the letters have to be in alphabetical order LOL) is making me crazy because the fabric is not cut straing to begin with! I think this is going to be the most expensive quilt I have made thus far. I just ordered another Layer cake. At least this one was on sale though!

Hopefully someone can give me a hint for working with those stupid pinked edges! Can I just cut them off and deduct 1/8 inch from my cutting measurments? or how do I deal with them? :x Done quilting for the night off to write an ADHD research paper! hopefully that will turn out ok! lol
Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM

I just watched a tutorial on YouTube about using these pinked edged pieces. She said to be sure when sewing to another piece without pinked edges, to lay the pinked on top of the unpinked and sew your 1/4" seam. She stated that if you did the reverse, you would have problems.

Now if both pieces are pinked, you line up your pinked edge just like you would an unpinked and sew your 1/4"seam. I would not cut the pinks off. Or, if you have a 1/4" foot, line up with that.

Maybe I missed why you are really having problems...let me reread. Ok I reread and I think because of your OCD, you are being thrown off course. Try and not let those little pinked edges get to you. They are the Giant you will concur this week.
I have used several of the Moda packs and not had a problem. Maybe you were too tired or frustrated when you worked on this. Put it down for a day or so and go back and look at it objectivly.
I know Eddie has used many of their packs, maybe if you PM him he can be of service. He is usually up kinda late, too.
Good luck.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 PM

If you measure a layer cake, or a jelly roll, or other pre-cut you will probably find that the POINTS of the pinks (is that the right term?) are the 10" measurement, or 2 1/2" measurement, not the dip between the points.

That got me too the first time I used a jelly roll.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 PM

I had the same issue used pinked charm squares. I carefully sewed the pinked edges together, carefully lined everything up, and the dang things weren't close. And I was careful. Hate pinked edges. New rule for my house - if it has pinked edges, I dunt want it
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 PM

I'm just finishing my first jelly roll quilt. I lined up the tip of the pinked edge against the 1/4" guide, and it was fine, no problem - but it did take longer being careful than just putting 2 straight edges together.
The only gripe I had was the "moult" off the pinked edges on everything - especially on a darker fabric.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:49 AM

Oh, how awful. I hope I can remember this if I come across pinked fabric.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:41 AM

I've worked with the 5" charms and sometimes the pinked edges throw me off also -- especially when sewing. My eyes "stray" to look at the nice neat little pinked areas and then my seam is all over the place.... :(
Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I just watched a tutorial on YouTube about using these pinked edged pieces. She said to be sure when sewing to another piece without pinked edges, to lay the pinked on top of the unpinked and sew your 1/4" seam. She stated that if you did the reverse, you would have problems.

Now if both pieces are pinked, you line up your pinked edge just like you would an unpinked and sew your 1/4"seam. I would not cut the pinks off. Or, if you have a 1/4" foot, line up with that.

Maybe I missed why you are really having problems...let me reread. Ok I reread and I think because of your OCD, you are being thrown off course. Try and not let those little pinked edges get to you. They are the Giant you will concur this week.
I have used several of the Moda packs and not had a problem. Maybe you were too tired or frustrated when you worked on this. Put it down for a day or so and go back and look at it objectivly.
I know Eddie has used many of their packs, maybe if you PM him he can be of service. He is usually up kinda late, too.
Good luck.
great info, thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 AM

Thank you for the info!
I am glad I am not the only one that has had trouble with pre-cuts. I know precuts are doable I have seen hundreds of quilts using them!

I think one of these days (maybe after this research paper is done) I will rip all these apart, trim them straight, and put them back together making a tad bit smaller quilt with them. Even in their wonky state they are to pretty to toss! I'll keep ya'll updated!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:48 AM

You have to be careful on the straight edged die cut (I assume) charm squares also. They can be wonky as show below and they really fray!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17858.jpe   attachment-17859.jpe