Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So Excited but So Scared!!! New Babylock Symphony >

So Excited but So Scared!!! New Babylock Symphony

So Excited but So Scared!!! New Babylock Symphony

Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
If you fell in love with it and took it home, you must have been in love. Just make sure to take your classes so that you can get the most out of it.
This was going to be my answer also. The machine felt so right to you that you just had to have it.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 AM

I have a Symphony and absolutely love it! You didn't make a mistake its an awesome machine. The bobbin thread doesn't come up because its a drop in and that's normal its automatic. I defiantly recommend taking the classes. Even with doing a ton of research before buying mine and reading the manual I have learned so many fun things in my classes. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine! CONGRATS! Have fun sewing
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I have the Baby Lock Espire (which is the predecessor to the Symphonie) and I LOVELOVELOVE my machine. She is soooo easy to handle. You will love the one-push needle threader. Before, I always clipped my threads, now I let the cutter do the work. Stitch quality is fabulous. It's got a motor speed adjuster. Bobbin winds quite neatly. Lots of space, great light. The only thread mine does not like is Coats and CLark Dual Duty. Love the fancy stitches and the mirroring of stitches which comes in handy for the blanket stitch a lot for me.

I took a class at the dealer's to learn about cleaning the machine and all that jazz.

One word of advice: When you clean the entire bobbin area make sure to disassemble the pieces in the correct order (or you may mangle the bobbin shuttle and the machine needs to go to the hospital - ask me how I know!)
First you take out the bobbin cover, then the grey plastic cover which just slides out. Then you undo the screws on the cover plate and THEN you take out the shuttle. Assembly goes in reverse with the shuttle going in first. I find is just a little tricky to get the shuttle aligned properly but that is just a matter of practice.

I am also still fighting a little bit with the FMQ settings. I have to have my stitch length at 5 in order to maintain control over my stitches.

Enjoy your new addition.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM

So funny - I did exactly the same thing. Planned to shop all the major brands, and ended up buying a Symphony on the spot. You won't be dissappointed. Once you get used to the new features you'll wonder how you ever got along without them. I find that with the auto needle down, and the pivot feature (where the presser foot lifts up every time you stop) that I really have no need for the knee lift. Only time I might use it is to get my fabric lined up just right under the presser foot, but it ends up just getting in my way so I don't use it. And, you have got to love the needle threader and automatic cutter. I think it's a lot of machine for the money.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Also, the bobbin thread takes care of itself - just load it in and let it go. It does get a little nest on the bottom of your fabric which is no big deal - if it bothers you, use leader.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
I bought the Baby Lock Crescendo in a similar experience and absolutely love it. I recently got back into sewing and due to severe arthritis, was having hip pain from the angle of stepping on the foot pedal (driving a car causes the same problem). I started using the push button and am in love. Does the symphony have the option to stop needed down pressure foot up each time? My crescendo does and it'a awesome - no need for the knee control either!

My next Baby Lock purchase is the Long Arm. I'm a customer for life!
It has the option of needle up or down and you can put it on pivot and the pressure foot lifts temporarily so you can shift the fabric but when you are done, you need to touch the pressure foot button. Love that. I am still learning about it, so will have to find out if I can set it to lift the presser foot every time. I will look for instructions.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM

maminstl, I agree with you about the pivot function. I played with it some more this afternoon and was telling my husband I was hardly using the knee lift, just pushing buttons here and there. I can't believe it could be so automated. The more I play with it, the more I think it will suit me just fine. It is so easy to operate.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM

My babylock dealer encouraged me to take their classes, (especially the getting to know your machine one) more than once. They believed that each time you took it you would learn something you missed the previous time(s), I think I took the class 3 times and they were right, I kept finding more things my babylock would do. I have really enjoyed mine, I'm sure you will also enjoy yours once you start playing with it.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM

I looked it up. It must be expensive so much so the price tag was nowhere to be seen...LOL

It really looks like an amazing machine. I can't wait to see what you create with it.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM

My sister did a similar thing and Loves her Symphony! I wish I had the $ to get one too. Definitely take the classes. Happy sewing!