Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So frustrated right now. >

So frustrated right now.

So frustrated right now.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 PM

So I spent about 3 days marking a meander pattern all over the top of my log cabin. Now I've spent a couple of days quilting it- and all of the white marking pencil that I used on top of the dark fabric has disappeared. The light fabrics are still well marked but all everything that was on top of the dark fabric is gone. I realize that the fact that it's a meander pattern means that I should be able to, well, just meander. But I really like to just follow a line when I quilt, and not have to figure out what to quilt as I go. Also, if I tried to do that, the marks on the light fabric would really mess with my head. I worked really hard to even make my own stencil for this and it took me forever to mark it... rrrrr!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Frustrating! I have great sympathy with you, but, sadly that is the way we learn.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

cant help unless know what you marked it with, brand, color and other info
Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I've experienced similar things. I get frustrated with all the new marking pens/pencils on the market now. Some are air erase, some are water erase, some take actual erasers to remove the marks and then there are even some that require heat to make them disappear. I hate having to think through every step that will follow just so I can choose the pen/pencil that will work for the job best. It sounds like you had a similar problem by choosing the wrong marking product. I hope you can reconstruct the quilting lines you need.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

frustrating, indeed. sorry it happened to you.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I've experienced similar things. I get frustrated with all the new marking pens/pencils on the market now. Some are air erase, some are water erase, some take actual erasers to remove the marks and then there are even some that require heat to make them disappear. I hate having to think through every step that will follow just so I can choose the pen/pencil that will work for the job best. It sounds like you had a similar problem by choosing the wrong marking product. I hope you can reconstruct the quilting lines you need.
Yes, and besides that fact that I even used a couple of different products- switched partway through because what I started with was applying so terribly.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Kas

I love the Clover white marking pen. It seems to not be marking at first, but it has to dry to be visible. It will not fade until you wash it. If you are not planning on washing the quilt, that could be a problem, I guess.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM

My first attempt at a quilt 2 years ago, I marked about 200 blocks to sew into 2 triangles with disapearing ink, think it would come out when I washed it. I was so tired, I decided to sew them all in the morning. Got up - no marks. Talk about mad? That quilt is still in the project box!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Maybe it was a chalk based marker and this would rub off with handling. Mark a section at a time, quilt, then mark the next section.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

That's the way we learn