Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So it's one of those days.

So it's one of those days.

I'm fixing what I screwed up rather than creating. I finally am getting more than passable at stippling and have one I'm doing that's coming along pretty good or so I thought. Until I really looked it over and on the underside the backing is all folded up and caught in the stippling so today I have to take that all out and try to make it look right. Ever had to do this?

Yes, I feel your pain, been there done that :-(
    Lori - MamaBear

No never (as I cross my fingers while writing that big whopper of a lie.)

OK. So, did you just try and fill in and connect what got caught. Is it possible to make this look right?

Yep,I;m right there with you.I;m picking out some sorry quilting.I;m ashamed of the mess I made so.....I;m picking but I;m not grinning.Going to be along day.Would rather be creating on this icey day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
    OK. So, did you just try and fill in and connect what got caught. Is it possible to make this look right?
    If the backing fabric is really caught and pleated in the stitching, I think you will really need to take it out, unless it's just a practice piece. How did you secure the sandwich? Sounds like the backing fabric was not tight enough or maybe not enough pins?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I found that it helps a *lot* to heavily starch the backing fabric before layering (I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water), and to spray baste with 505. Starch stabilizes the fabric, making it harder for it to stretch or bend or fold over on its own. Spray basting makes a continuous connection between the 3 layers (instead of, say, connecting the layers with pins 4 inches apart). These two things have prevented puckers for me.

If there isn't a lot of those mess ups I leave them in...lol
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I sit in the recliner with a big ole Coke and a chocolate candy bar and my sexy romance book and pout for an hour or so.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    If the backing fabric is really caught and pleated in the stitching, I think you will really need to take it out, unless it's just a practice piece. How did you secure the sandwich? Sounds like the backing fabric was not tight enough or maybe not enough pins?
    It's just right along one edge about an inch all the way down.. You take out the pins as you go. See what happened?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast