Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So my DMC red embroidery thread ran...can i fix it? >

So my DMC red embroidery thread ran...can i fix it?

So my DMC red embroidery thread ran...can i fix it?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:59 AM

Unhappy So my DMC red embroidery thread ran...can i fix it?

Hey all! So I'm making a sample baby blanket with an optional embroidered initial. I used a transfer pen to sketch the letter, and after I finished a ran a touch of water over the R to remove the ink. Well the ink disappeared, and the color ran! It's not awful, as you can see from the picture, but it is there, and I can't sell stuff that is going to bleed like this.

Can this particular piece be saved? I really hate to take the seam ripper to this thing, as it took a while to get it even this far along. Not to mention that this fabric is pricy(!!!) and I'd like to salvage the whole piece instead of having to cut it up for another use. What would you try? I read other posts like this and I've heard that my problem is very rare - so I guess(?) I'm still going to be ok offering embroidery for an upcharge...but I guess I'll be pre-rinsing all my threads.
Attached Thumbnails photo-9-3-13-10.46-am-3.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 AM

As you know, red is a notorious bleeder. That said, with DMC floss (not sure if you're using floss or thread) I've usually not had a problem, even with red. It may have run a tad when dampened but most needlework that I've used floss (hand embroidery; needlepoint), I end up hand washing in the sink with liquid dish soap and have never had a lasting problem. Can you try, say a wet q-tip, with a touch of dish soap and see if that removes the dye before continuing?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Just so you know...DMC blue is also a notorious bleeder.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 AM

I had the DMC red bleed on an ENTIRE quilt top once. After some tears, I just washed the whole thing again in cold water with color catchers and it pretty much came out. There may be some faint pink in a couple of places, but I seem to be the only one that sees it.

Now I avoid red embroidery thread at all costs!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

DMC is usually a good brand. I suppose like everything else, it isn't as good as it used to be. I use the little perle cotton balls of single strand thread for my Redwork. I have never had any problems with washing it. As for saving your piece, you could try washing it again with colour catchers and see if that helps. The other option is to embrace the bleed and add a little more shading with a red sharpie.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I use to do a lot of crossstitching before the quilt bug got me. I remember there was one no. of DMC floss red that did not bleed. It was the only red that never bled. I can't remember the number though. I'm sure the cross stitching forums would know. Most hand embroiderers have gone to 12wt sewing thread now, no bleeding at all.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Anything with DMC red, black and blue DMC floss got handwashed in cold water with salt and white vinegar years ago.
Seemed to work, as I did a lot of x-stitch on clothes using waste canvas.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM

I guess I only made pictures and wall hangings when cross stitching - didn't realize the colors ran! I've been working on redwork embroidery for a quilt using all red - guess I will make sure I wash the quilt with color catcher's when I'm done.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM

Glad I read this I am working on crab-apple hills vintage tin pattern, I will be setting my floss with vinegar before proceeding !
Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 PM

For future reference - Presencia Finca floss is colorfast. i've seen a length of red dropped into a glass of water with no, as in zero, bleeding...and it's comparable in price.