Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so my now "ex" realtor invited me to attend a local quilt guild meeting... >

so my now "ex" realtor invited me to attend a local quilt guild meeting...

so my now "ex" realtor invited me to attend a local quilt guild meeting...

Old 02-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Welcome to the 'dark side'!!!

Yes, there are lots of people who are just into making the tops. And there are people like me who quilt the tops for them.

Some people can't physically handle quilting a quilt in their home machine, some just don't like it (that was me!), and some just really, really want to make tops! They're into the patterns and the colors.

Whatever you end up doing, have fun!
Shelly, you are so right. I now have 9 quilt tops that need quilting. It is a matter of time with me also I can't afford to let someone else do it. I do love to create new patterns & designs. I wish we had a quilt guild where I live. There is one in Tyler but a member told me they have got too social & not concentrate on quilting. Go have fun.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Debra Mc, How close are you to Longview? They have a great guild. I have met several women from there and they are very warm and friendly. Longview also has lots of retreats. I know someone here in the Dallas area that belongs just to go to retreat with them.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM

I haven't joined a guild yet. Not sure if I should or not... I would love to get together with the people, but I hear a lot of complaints that the ones here only meet during the day, and that's difficult for us working women... But the downside would be all the different quilts I'd see and HAVE to make. tee hee (cuz' my list isn't long enough yet.)
Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM

Ten years ago, two friends and I started our quilt guild and it's been a wonderful group. We have about 60 on the rolls and usually have at least 35 at each meeting (once a month). We sometimes have guest speakers, but mostly we just share in doing the programs. We've also hosted 4 biannual quilt shows, and the last was said to be "better than Paducah" (on a smaller scale)! JOIN...JOIN...JOIN You'll make such wonderful friendships. And if you can't find a group, check out church groups.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
Debra Mc, How close are you to Longview? They have a great guild. I have met several women from there and they are very warm and friendly. Longview also has lots of retreats. I know someone here in the Dallas area that belongs just to go to retreat with them.
I'm south of Tyler about 55 miles. I think it is 90 to Longview. I would really like to join but some of them are so "give you the look if you don't hand piece & hand quilt everthing." 30 years in the flower business & carpal tunnel surgery on both hands fixed that. Maybe when I get everybody in school , grammie can have more fun & join one close by. There is one in Athens, TX about 35 miles from here. A lot of the ladies I know from sewing club go to it. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM

There are a lot of quilts that wouldn't be made if they had to be done completely by hand. How many of us wouldn't have taken this up without sewing machines? It's so sad that some people have taken it upon themselves to be the quilt police. How about we celebrate the art that is quilting, and enjoy the ride no matter how we get there!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:09 PM

There are a lot of quilts that wouldn't be made if they had to be done completely by hand. How many of us wouldn't have taken this up without sewing machines? It's so sad that some people have taken it upon themselves to be the quilt police. How about we celebrate the art that is quilting, and enjoy the ride no matter how we get there!
The world needs more sweet ladies like you. :thumbup:
Old 02-08-2010, 04:41 PM

umm...did you read the "homebody" thread in chitchat?

I didn't go... :oops:

She sent me an agenda and I realized I would not enjoy myself since I really don't like the quilting part. I would have to pretend and didn't feel comfortable doing that. I've also got back into doll making and doll clothes which I like much better!

sigh...
Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM

The ladies that I quilt with meet every Wednesday. Sometimes they work on quilts, sometimes bags, purses, doll clothes - you name it, they'll make it! Near Christmas, one was working on making her Christmas cards. We have a potluck on the last Wednesday of the month. It's all about getting together and having fun! I try to NOT longarm on those days and work on my piecing projects. The longarm is on the main floor of a former church, the ladies work in the basement.

Oh, Nancy - I wish you were closer!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 AM

The ladies that I quilt with meet every Wednesday. Sometimes they work on quilts, sometimes bags, purses, doll clothes - you name it, they'll make it! Near Christmas, one was working on making her Christmas cards. We have a potluck on the last Wednesday of the month. It's all about getting together and having fun! I try to NOT longarm on those days and work on my piecing projects. The longarm is on the main floor of a former church, the ladies work in the basement.

Oh, Nancy - I wish you were closer!
Shelley, that sounds nice - a variety of things.

But NH to WA? Heck of a commute!

;) ;) ;) :wink: