Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So now I'm worried >

So now I'm worried

So now I'm worried

Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter
Unless you want "museum quality" when quilts are used--they eventually fall apart...don't worry...it is a work of love.
I also agree - yes yes yes! ;) People get really hung up on buying great fabric, and of course that helps your quilt last longer. But just think of all the quilts made from feedsacks and scraps that are still intact today. I think you'll be just fine. As others have said, any quilt is going to wear with use, and even quilts made of the finest materials will fall apart after they've been washed a hundred times.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM

My quilts to this point have been "utility" quilts - quilts to be used and washed and used some more. I have used a variety of fabrics, including wal-mart fabrics, recycled clothing, rayons, poly-blends, and quilt shop cottons.

I have had ONE fabric give up the ghost on me in a quilt, after only 3 or 4 washes, it just got thin, frayed, and came apart. I used it in two quilts, and had to patch both. The fabric didn't seem thinner than usual, it was brand new, 100% cotton, but the quality was off somehow (it was a very dark blue and I wonder if the dye had something to do with it), and it didn't hold up. I believe it originally came from wal-mart but wouldn't swear to it, as it was a large chunk given to me in a bag of scraps.

I used a poly blend that appeared a little thin, but it is holding up fine (in the same quilt).
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM

I bought a fat quarter bundle of Moda fabric with an extraordinary difference in weight of fabrics which surprised me because it was all one line. SOme where heavier and others were like voile. Quilt turned out okay though.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Oh, and because of that experience, if I have any doubts about a fabric now, I will make a potholder sized quilt sandwich and run it through the wash a few times to see if it holds up, before I put it in a quilt. One of those quilts was a gift and I was devastated to find that it had fallen apart in such a short time.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Hugs noveltyjunkie, don't stress ... I believe the quilt will last a long time and as others were saying, the love and use of the quilt is mostly why we quilt. Eventually all quilts will fray and get small tears in them.