Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So there! >

So there!

So there!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 PM

I think this is the best ever way of joining the binding

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ining_the_Ends
Old 08-22-2013, 03:06 AM

I definitely will try the technique demonstrated in the McCall link the next time. I have used different methods but this one seems to hit the mark with least fuss possible. Way to go!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 AM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Trk6...%3DOt7Trk6J2Vw
since I started using this method, it's all good. It didn't seem possible but just matching where the 1/4 inch seam allowance is, works for me every time.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 AM

There are many great ways to join the binding. I have a friend that just butts hers together and sews a straight line to join them and she has won multiple blue ribbons, so whatever works for you, go for it. Thanks to everyone for the links. I bookmarked them all.

Last edited by quiltinglady-1; 08-22-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Tartan has it! For something that is supposed to be fun quilting sure can throw us some curves every now and then.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 AM

I'm the "Can it be that difficult" member...have always struggled with this until I watched the McCalls quilting tute. Used it again yesterday and the binding went together beautifully, easily and with no bad words from me. Thanks again, so much, to the member who suggested this tute. I have it bookmarked and will probably have to watch it every time I close a binding...but that's okay with me. Thanks again to your all for all your help.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I don't have problems doing it any more, but did recently see a tute on McCall's quilting that was shared here. Tried it (working from memory, no less, which is a dangerous thing!) when I had a binding to put on Monday. Worked like a charm! Here is the link: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ining_the_Ends

And the thread that it came from, which has lots of suggested methods and tutes: http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...t-t228030.html
This was an excellent tutorial. Sometimes I think I have amnesia and can't remember what I know and this is a good way to do it.
Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:27 AM

That was a great link which I have bookmarked. It so happens that I am in the process of binding a scrap quilt this morning and stopped to go to breakfast with DD. Will try this method since I was never completely happy with my method.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 PM

I have a method for sewing ends together that I think is foolproof! Well, most of the time. I leave tails at both ends of the sewn on binding, but they don't have to be so long. They only have to overlap as much as the binding is wide. If your binding is 2 1/2 inches wide, that is how much they should overlap. If you start with a 10 inch tail, stop about 16 inches from that start when you come around at the end.

When your binding is sewn on with the two ends loose, pin these tails so that they are as snug as you want them. Lay both binding tails down, one on top of the other. Fold a triangle at the end of the beginning tail. Cut the longer binding tail at the base of the triangle pressed in at the beginning. Now the two pieces will overlap just as far as the binding strip is wide. Take out the pins holding the tails down, pick up both tails, open out the binding fabric and place right sides together. Twist them so that they make an ""L" shape (the 90 degree angle) and the pressed line is going side to side. The point of the "L" will not be sewn. Sew across on the line you pressed. Snap it straight and lay it down to be sure you sewed it correctly. You can still change it now. Then cut out the seam allowance, finger press the seams open and sew it down.

Make a practice piece on a potholder and I think you will be able to figure it out. Some tutorials come close to this method, but cutting the second tail at the base of the triangle pressed in ensures that it will fit when it is sewn.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 AM

missouri star has a great tut for binding and getting ends to match