Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So Upset! >

So Upset!

So Upset!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, gang... It was the foot controller cord. Not the electric cord. There is no live electricity traveling throught the foot controller cord. The puppy is fine. Unfortunately the foot pedal has to be on the floor in order to be used. All electrical cords are routed up higher where the puppy can't chew them. I wasn't born yesterday and this isn't my first dog.

Thank you so much for the splicing advice. I can't go with a generic controller because of the thread cutting mechanism in the foot pedal. I am hooked on it and don't want to sew without it now! I wrote to the guy in CA that I bought the machine from and he's willing to change out the cord for me. The problem with splicing is that this is a dinky LITTLE cord, like what you have on your earbuds! The metal strands inside it are like thread. Better to just replace the cord than fix it, but the foot controller is made so you can't take it apart very easily. Plastic parts snap together rather than screw together... argh.

I will save that splicing info for later... for fixing heavier cords. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
BTW, Tabasco sauce on cords deters pets.
Not all of them. My lab LOVES hot/spicy stuff. I once made a paste out of habnero peppers and cinnamon essential oil to try to keep her from chewing on the gate when she was young - this stuff was so strong the fumes were making my eyes water and it made my skin red where it touched it. I held out a spoonful of it to her as a test, she gobbled it down and then sat all pretty to beg for more. My other dog wouldn't even come within 3 feet of that spoonful, but the lab....*sigh* It was just flavor sauce as far as she was concerned. She also steals salsa at parties if you don't watch her.

That same dog (as a puppy) chewed halfway through the power cord to my heating pad, WHILE IT WAS ON. She didn't get shocked, but I did when I took it away from her. *sigh*

I love my dogs, though! That lab puppy is 13 years old now - grey and slow, dimming eyesight and hard of hearing, but she's still my big sweet goofy puppy. Thankfully she outgrew chewing on things though...I still have some "souvenirs" of her puppy years on the dining room table legs, LOL.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:27 AM

Yup, sewbizgirl, I feel your pain as I have the same machine, and I've gotten so used to that foot pedal cutter I wouldn't want to live without it either! It's truly a life-changing feature, as far as I'm concerned. Good luck with your replacement foot and with the new little puppy who I'm sure is just adorable!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 AM

Could you post a picture of the puppy, next to the sewing machine if that's needed to keep on topic. LOL Guess you see where my interest is... Joyce in Delaware adoptive mom to a senior beagle and foster mom to 2 more beagles, one foster one renamed Houdini.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 AM

Same thing happened to me. That cord must taste good. My husband just spliced the cord together and then I ran it thru PVC pipe and it runs fine. You can get a replacement at a sewing center. Don't you just love that Juki?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 AM

I agree, get an electrician, he should be able to do a simple re-wire.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 AM

A good friend and dog trainer told me to use antiperspirant to spray on things, makes them quit chewing as it puckers the mouth up. As we raise dogs it is a good thing to know. That is what I love about my brother SQ9000 because I don't have to use a foot peddle, it is on front of machine.
Have computer phone cords inside paper towel rolls and lots of duck tape.

Last edited by Carol34446; 07-25-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Add
Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 AM

The foot pedal cord on my Bernina was spliced more than 8 years ago by the former owner's husband after it, too, was chewed through by a puppy. It's a very simple repair, even on small cords like those, and I've had no issues with it at all. The electrical tape that now wraps the boo-boo was, I'm sure, a whole lot less expensive and much faster as a solution than either replacing the whole unit or sending it thousands of miles away to be rewired. I hope your choice of action works out well for you.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM

I vote for the electrician, or family or friend wo knows how to replace electrical cords... repair the cord... I hadnt thoiught of PVC pipes around things puppies chew.. interesting idea... (or a playpen for the puppy) LOL
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM

So sorry about your cord, hope you find someone quick for the repair. On a side note my "puppy" just turned 1yr & still chewing, no cords just Crocs, boots, rugs and my furniture. I too put Cayenne paste on everything doesn't deter him at all & he has toys galore. This is the 1st pup I've ever had that didn't stop chewing but I still have faith that someday......