Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SoCal or warm climate members - is it too warm for a quilt? >

SoCal or warm climate members - is it too warm for a quilt?

SoCal or warm climate members - is it too warm for a quilt?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 AM

One of my brothers got married spur-of-the-moment, winter solstice weekend in Dec, so I made them a quilt. (I love making big quilts for my loved ones to sleep under) They were living in CO at the time, have not gifted the quilt yet. Good job offer came brothers way and they've just moved back to CA, and I'm wondering if my original idea of a quilt is foolish. Had I known they were thinking of moving back to CA, I would have used completely different fabrics/colors etc - or maybe even a different gift altogether, I don't want them to open it and think "has she lost her mind, what do we need a quilt for" Any and all suggestions/ideas/critique welcome, thanks lots,
D
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 AM

You made it with love, they will love it because it came from you.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 AM

no i usually sleep under a sheet and thin quilt in the summer with the fan and or the ac
Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I sleep under two quilts and an electric blanket in the winter and under a quilt in the summer. (warm and natural batting) I am also in Southern California. It cools down at night normally with a couple nights of exceptions. We love our quilts here. My children sleep under multiple quilts in the winter or a fleece blanket and a quilt and in the summer just under the quilt. We also use them on the lawn and beach or as decoration.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM

We use a very heavy quilt on our bed and quilts to snuggle with in the TV room. Nights can get very cold (at least to us SO.Ca. people it is cold) Summers are hot but even this month a quilt feels good.
Not to worry it will get used.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 AM

We get chilly nights here, too. A quilt lets us lower the thermostat and save on heating costs. I sometimes use a lighter batting than I might if I knew the quilt was going to CO or MT, but ...
Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 AM

here in Las Vegas I sleep with a heavy quilt in the winter and just a sheet in the summer. you should definitely finish the quilt - it will still be quite useful in CA.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM

I sleep under a quilt probably 8 mos of the year. They are definitely useable here. We get cool nights, even in the summer.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM

I can't speak for Southern California, but I can speak to North Florida. I definitely use a quilt (or more) in the winter. In the summer, since I sleep with a fan blowing directly on my bed, I even need one then too. (I know I could turn off the fan but then the room would get too stuffy.)

One option you have, if you think a regular quilt will be too warm for them, is to use flannel for the lining instead of batting.

I say give them the quilt. They will in time acclimate to Southern California weather and they will begin to feel the chilly nights.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:44 PM

We all sleep under quilts I have made. They will definately use it, maybe not all 12 months, but it will get used!