Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Soil protector cloth >

Soil protector cloth

Soil protector cloth

Old 03-07-2015, 08:56 AM

I've never used it before, so didn't really know what to expect. After removing the plastic cover, it seems like it would do well for embroidery stabilizer. It doesn't seem as dense to me as a dryer sheet. I would imagine it would melt rather easily. I've seen heavier stabilizer used forr embroidery than this is. I don't see at all what there would be to cause any issues with any machine. It isn't a heavy fabric at all.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:42 PM

Very light weight. Much less dense than a dryer sheet.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:06 PM

Could you post a picture of the label so we can see what it is?
Old 03-08-2015, 05:09 AM

Still haven't found out anything about it. How do you use and and why?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:01 AM

I think I was the one who brought this up...I saw it demoed at a guild meeting and there was a run of it at our Home Depot afterwards.......me included. But I must confess I gave not used it yet. The demo claimed it was good for embroidery stabilizer and also machine appliqué...where you sew, slit, and flip out and machine sew to background. The price is much lower than fabric stabilizers, but good to know about lowering heat on iron when using.....will remember that. Personally, I had never heard of this product....I found it in the plumbing supplies aisle....
Old 03-08-2015, 08:53 AM

I believe I read about it here on the QB, possibly for use as the foundation for paper piecing where the foundation material would not have to be removed. Its original use is for sewer type plumbing outside to filter the dirt from going into the holes of the pvc pipes that are used for water run off for a septic system.
Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Still haven't found out anything about it. How do you use and and why?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 AM

DH did road, sewer, and storm sewer construction for 25+ years. He has used all kinds of soil stabilization fabrics over the years. He says that they would be very hard on your needles. He says that the first cut w/a utility knife will dull the knife.

I think the type of sewer cloth your DH is referring to is very tough, more like a tarp. This product is extremely light weight and very flexible...can wad it up in your hand like a dryer sheet! I use it for machine embroidery all the time, light weight stabilizer and very affordable. Unless it is on a special or discontinued, never found a $5 roll, but usually less than $12. Most home improvement stores carry it (garden dept) it comes in white and in black. The roll is huge and so I feel like I can experiment with it. Hot iron will melt it! Have done some applique with it...shapes on baby blankets, etc. and it works very well for that as well. I can see that it would work for strip quilting and paper piecing as long as you didn't press with hot iron. Does not add extra weight into the final product. Worth the money IMHO for a product to keep on hand for when it is useable.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I asked DH to buy me a roll of it when he was going to Lowes. He came home with six rolls! He thought I was going to use it for my flower beds (?) and wanted me to have enough. LOL I think it will work great to put in the bottom of my planters.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I'm confused! What do you intend to do with it? Was this part of another thread previous to this post?
Okay, now I remember that someone posted about using this for applique backing, sort of like Eleanor Burns' "Sunbonnet Sue" instructions. I know it as landscape cloth. I have not seen it in white, brings up all sorts of thoughts for tracing patterns, interfacing clothing, etc. To think that the last trip to Home Depot, I snoozed in the car while husband went in!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Thanks for a good laugh. 6 rolls!

Last edited by elnan; 03-08-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: more info