Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
solid color >

solid color

solid color

Old 01-31-2016, 10:01 AM

If the gray is highly saturated, pick a pale or a dull blue & green. If the grey is lighter, pick more saturated blues & greens. My favorite artist that uses all solids is Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry. http://bryerpatch.com/gallery/gallery.htm
Old 01-31-2016, 10:38 AM

I use solids in almost all of my quilts! They can be dramatic or peaceful, depending upon the colors selected and the design. I do mostly "modern" type designs, and most modern quilts use solids more than prints. If you are a traditional quilter, this may be why you have rarely used them. Just try mixing in some coordinating solids with your prints to get started. Using only solids in a quilt can really showcase many designs more than print fabrics that can distract from the design. Go for it!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:18 PM

No, actually he didn't. So I guess I could use print in the colors he wants. Just not sure what colors of blue and green will look good together.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I'd probably use a batik blue and batik green. They come in fabulous deep and bright colors, plus there is just enough texture in the fabrics to make them interesting. Hancock's of Paducah online has a good selection. Hoffman Bali Watercolor Solids are a line of batiks that are not solid. Here are a couple of possibilities for blue and green:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/SHOP-BY-BRAND/Bali-Batik-Watercolor-Textures/Hoffman-Bali-Batiks-
Watercolor-Solid-Brooke

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Hoff...or-SNAKE-GREEN

For a two-color quilt, it's best to go to a quilt shop so you can see the actual fabrics side-by-side.

Edit: Or order swatches. Some online shops have a way for you to do that.
That is a very good idea, I really like the batik fabrics. Solids without really looking like solids. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:32 PM

I love the solids, they can add punch to a quilt. The more modern quilts use all solids.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=quiltingcandy;7451710]Okay I have to kind of laugh because when I first read the post, my mind went straight to the colors of the Seattle Seahawks. BJ's MIL may be a fan.

We have a LQS called Rosie's in San Diego and they have over 10,000 bolts of fabric -- too bad you can't go and audition so many combinations.

I would ask you DH to help you find the colors

Yeah, San Diego is a little far.....LOL but thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
How old is your DGS? Maybe he'd like to pick the color shades? He could use crayons or send a picture of paint chips or something in the shades he has in mind. Or go to the fabric store with you?

He is 19 and likes the pattern I picked out. Maybe I could pin him down and take him to the quilt shop with me. It would be helpful for sure!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Yes! I've recently made a couple of quilts that were made up of solids. I loved pairing up the colors to get the most contrast. They came out beautiful!! I'm working on another quilt now that has a lot of solids, mixed with a few prints here and there. The solids really make the design POP. Go for it...you'll like the result.

~ C
I think I will! That is very encouraging! Thanks!
Old 01-31-2016, 03:41 PM

I have made several and I love the way they turned out. I used a wild fabric for the backs.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:00 PM

I suggest you look at Pinterest for some color inspiration. I happened across several that I saved today just for the color combos which I am not good at. The ones I saw were mainly chevron quilts but the colors should work for any pattern using two colors.