Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
solid color >

solid color

solid color

Old 01-31-2016, 07:54 AM

Default solid color

Has anyone worked with solid colors in their quilts?? I have never worked with a solid color in any of my quilts, and I don't know why. I just can't seem to get into solid color fabric for them, I always lean toward prints. I am about to start a quilt for my DGS and the pattern I chose is the cinder block in the Jan/Feb 2015 issue of Quiltmaker) in just two colors and they are solid white and gray. Well, my DGS wants blue and green. Does anyone have any suggestions on what color blue and green would work?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:01 AM

I'm no help at all. I rarely use solids. I like tone on tone fabrics rather than solids. They seem to blend better and, to me, are more interesting than plain solid fabrics.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 AM

Thanks Patrice!! That must be why I haven't used solids myself. They are much more interesting than solids!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 AM

I've used solid white sashing in some of my more modern quilts, and I've used solid black in one quilt, but in general, I don't think solids mix that well with traditional prints in a quilt (based on the very first top I ever made, in which I mixed a solid with prints and the solid stood out like a sore thumb). I've seen some stunning modern quilts done in all solids, though. Did your DGS specify that he wanted solids?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I'd probably use a batik blue and batik green. They come in fabulous deep and bright colors, plus there is just enough texture in the fabrics to make them interesting. Hancock's of Paducah online has a good selection. Hoffman Bali Watercolor Solids are a line of batiks that are not solid. Here are a couple of possibilities for blue and green:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/SHOP...r-Solid-Brooke
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Hoff...or-SNAKE-GREEN

For a two-color quilt, it's best to go to a quilt shop so you can see the actual fabrics side-by-side.

Edit: Or order swatches. Some online shops have a way for you to do that.

Last edited by Prism99; 01-31-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:34 AM
bj

My mil has a beautiful quilt made with navy blue and lime green solids. Sounds weird, but it sure works in hers.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by susanwilley View Post
Has anyone worked with solid colors in their quilts?? I have never worked with a solid color in any of my quilts, and I don't know why. I just can't seem to get into solid color fabric for them, I always lean toward prints. I am about to start a quilt for my DGS and the pattern I chose is the cinder block in the Jan/Feb 2015 issue of Quiltmaker) in just two colors and they are solid white and gray. Well, my DGS wants blue and green. Does anyone have any suggestions on what color blue and green would work?
Here I am... see me waving? I love working with solids. They give a totally different look to a pattern than tonals or prints. Not to mention that they are cheaper. Just be sure they are good quality 100% cotton. Missouri Star Quilt Company has an awesome amount of color choices. Do you have a picture of the quilt you wish to make? If you will pm me I will help you all I can. Almost any blue and green will work together as long as you have one light and one dark color value together. Jan
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 AM

Okay I have to kind of laugh because when I first read the post, my mind went straight to the colors of the Seattle Seahawks. BJ's MIL may be a fan.

We have a LQS called Rosie's in San Diego and they have over 10,000 bolts of fabric -- too bad you can't go and audition so many combinations.

I would ask you DH to help you find the colors he has in mind.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:53 AM

How old is your DGS? Maybe he'd like to pick the color shades? He could use crayons or send a picture of paint chips or something in the shades he has in mind. Or go to the fabric store with you?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM

Yes! I've recently made a couple of quilts that were made up of solids. I loved pairing up the colors to get the most contrast. They came out beautiful!! I'm working on another quilt now that has a lot of solids, mixed with a few prints here and there. The solids really make the design POP. Go for it...you'll like the result.

~ C