Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Solid white or cream fabric >

Solid white or cream fabric

Solid white or cream fabric

Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I've been reading the "fabric snob" thread and got to wondering whether I too have become a "snob"... then decided that no, it's not being snobby if you're just trying to make sure that you get excellent quality, and can define exactly what quality is.

The particular case I am thinking of is solid white/cream/bone fabric. I'm very brand loyal to Kaufman's Kona cotton, because the weave of the fabric is consistently even (very few slubs) but more importantly, no odd colored threads woven in.

I have purchased other brands at the chain stores, and found that I could scarcely find a one-yard piece that did not have those colored threads in it. Usually they were red, but sometimes black or gray. You'd think it would not be a big deal, a single fiber wrapped around the thread as it was spun, and then woven into the cloth. But every one of them just jumps right out at you, in such a light colored cloth.

My question is for you all is, what other brands beside Kona cotton have you tried (in white or other light colors) and did you find that they were perfect, or did they have the little threads or other flaws in them? Kona's price has gone up a lot lately, and it may be that not everyone here on the forum will be able to afford it... and it would be providing a good service, if those of you who have tried other brands could chime in about what you tried, and whether you liked those brands or not.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 AM

When I need an all white fabric I use RonLoc #404 Bleached muslin. Its a good quality and has none of the slubs , etc . I have purchased it by the bolt, so its been a bit since I needed to buy any , so not sure if they have reduced the quality.
Ron Loc has many many different grades and I think there is one of even higher quality than the #404.
As for the cream colored , I have pretty much abandoned the use of a solid , as I find the tone on tones so much more interesting in a finished quilt. But before the tone on tones became so widely available ( more than a few years ago) , I used the Ron loc muslin , High grade, but do not have the number for it.
Maybe ask for some samples to see what the current quality feels like. They also make a 120 inch wide muslin.
Ron Loc makes so many variations :
http://www.roc-lon.com/products/muslins.html#
Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 AM

I like the "quilter's cotton" that I can get at JoAnn's. I do also buy Kona.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 AM

I have been using Kona "Snow" for my Dresden plate quilt. The color (as suggested by the board) is perfect and the fabric feels nice. I have been a bit surprised at how many loose threads I get along the cut edges. I had thought higher quality fabric would not do that as much. There were no strange colored fibers in the weave that I have found and I have certainly found them in the past with other brands.

The rest of the quilt quilt is 1930's reproductions from several name brands. Moda, RJR, etc. Some are certainly thicker than others. Again, I expected more consistency with the higher end fabrics.

This is my first quilt made with what would be considered all LQS fabrics. I have to say I think I will continue to buy whatever fabrics appeal to me and feel nice whether they be Wal-mart, Joanns, or LQS. I just have not seen a quality difference to make up for the price difference.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I buy all my white/cream/ white on white at Mill End Textiles on their remnant table. I've never had a quality issue. I just looked for a name brand on some and there is no brand. Mill End Textiles is just here in the midwest.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

I use solids and marbles almost exclusively these days... all my solids are Moda Bella solids. The quality is excellent.

I just started a new quilt that will be done entirely in Bella solids. There's a picture of it so far on my blog today:
http://www.createdbycj.com/from-my-s...ll-monday.html
Old 03-28-2011, 03:51 PM

Mostly I use fabric in tones, like white on white, so there is some movement however small. I get whatever I like at my LQS.

ali
Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
RST

I like Moda bella solids. They have a really nice sheen and drape. I use kona too. I really love a line that's made of a blend of bamboo and cotton fibers -- once it's quitled. It frays and wrinkles more than cotton, making it a bit of a pain to work with, but in a finished product it's really nice. Sorry I can't recall the brand name. They carry it at Pacific Fabrics.

rST
Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 PM

I also love Kona cotton, and I think I used the snow color. It is nice fabric.