Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solids other than black...favorite brands?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I really like Connecting Threads and their quilters candy solids....soft, yet durable fabric, great colors, and wonderful service!
    Not to mention on sale for $2.96 until 8 AM 08/08! I like their solids, tho I also really like Moda. I find Kona to be just too stiff.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I don't like Kona, and adore Moda Bella. I', going to see about that Amish black tho.
    I took this to be a question about other colors than black solids - again Moda Bella in all the gorgeous shades they have. Bonnie Hunter uses a lot of cheddar as a basic and it really does look good with all sorts of colors.
    Judi
    Judi in Ohio

I have always used Kona Black, and as a former quilt store manager found that it is the most sought after. We always recommended washing and using Retayne to make your black colorfast and it doesn't run.

I used Kona black for the first time this weekend. I prewashed and didn't find too much raveling, nor a significant loss of color, but after cutting into 2" strips and manipulating them during the design process, each strip has tons of eyelashes along its edges.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I used Kona black for the first time this weekend. I prewashed and didn't find too much raveling, nor a significant loss of color, but after cutting into 2" strips and manipulating them during the design process, each strip has tons of eyelashes along its edges.
    This too is when I have all the raveling. I rarely use black in any other size than 2 1/2" strips so I guess this is why I think it ravels too much.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

The reason strips ravel like that (with eyelashes) is because they are not cut on the straight of grain, either lengthwise or crosswise. Cut along one thread, or as close to it as you can, and the edges will not ravel.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Banned
    If I was looking for an Amish black I'd order from Gohn Brothers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    The reason strips ravel like that (with eyelashes) is because they are not cut on the straight of grain, either lengthwise or crosswise. Cut along one thread, or as close to it as you can, and the edges will not ravel.
    Thanks for the tip. This also happened with a RK Kona Jelly Roll though.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Haven't bought Kona black recently, used it in the past with no problem - but have used the white /cream shades a lot and had no problems with raveling or anything else. ? Not cutting on grain could cause more raveling too. Also I don't buy Kona at Joann's, IMO it's not the same quality as elsewhere ...

Haven't tried Moda Bella but I do use a lot of Moda prints ... will have to try and compare
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 08-07-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2