Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Solids >

Solids

Solids

Old 11-22-2015, 08:54 AM

Default Solids

Hi,
I live in a very small town that is about 90 miles to the nearest quilt shop. I am considering getting some solids online and need your opinions.
I have tried Joannes solids and don't care for them unless it is the Kona cotton. Has anyone tried any of Hancock Fabric's solids? They are on sale now for black Friday.
I usually love Moda Bella Solids but would like a lower priced alternative as I usually give my quilts away.
I tried to use the search box but couldn't find the answer.
Thanks for your help!
Bonnie
Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I saw these solids at a store and was impressed. http://americanmadebrand.com/the-fabric/ there is a ling on the board that tells where you can buy it.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:22 AM

I say you can't beat Connecting Threads, I have never been disappointed in any of their fabrics except........ some of the Mirage, it seemed liked the color was spray painted or something, it was a bit stiff and did not work well for a backing, I haven't tried it yet for piecing. Just the other day I ordered a fat quarter of solid black with my order, I wanted to see if it was a good deep black and if it fades, I have it soaking now in HOT water and there is a tiny tiny bit of color so for me it passes.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:31 AM

Why not try Thousands of Bolts and Only one Nut, they have Bella solids at a good price and I think they are also having a sale right now ^_^
Old 11-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I usually buy Kona cotton from Fabric Shack. If you are talking about the chain store Hancock, they will have the same quality at JAF has which are mainly second quality fabric. If the fabric is NOT on a manufacturer's bolt, then it has been sold to vendors who then sell the 2nd quality fabric to mostly major discount fabric stores.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:14 PM

Fabric.com or Connectingthreads.com hancocks of Paducah all great quality and good prices...
Old 11-23-2015, 07:05 PM

I really like Michael Miller solids and I have had great success buying online from Hancock. Of Paducah.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 PM

I have had good luck buying RK Kona solids from https://www.fabric.com/

They have good everyday prices ($5.50-6 with free shipping with $35 order), but also have sales sometimes where the fabric is even cheaper. I get much better quality Kona from them than what's sold at JAF (dye isn't consistent from bolt to bolt, fabric is wound really crooked & I lose over 1/4yd squaring it up, snags, etc). I usually can match what I've bought at LQS with yardage from Fabric.com with both Kona & Bella solids. You might check them out & see if they run any kind of special this weekend.

Good luck! Other than that, I might see if you could get donations of fabric. Around here sometimes people who don't sew/quilt will donate money/fabric to help contribute. Quilt shops & big box stores (JAF, HL, Hancock's) will sometimes donate to 501(c)3's with a formal written request from the charity. Otherwise, I wouldn't really feel badly about using JAF fabric for charity quilts. It is lovely if you can afford to use quality fabric, but even big box fabric has it's place in the quilting world. I've made quilts for my own family with JAF/HL fabric (before I "knew better") and while I now prefer LQS fabrics for a number of reasons, those quilts have held up well for 2 years & counting with regular washing. They are not heirloom quality quilts, but they are loved, enjoyed & beautiful in their own right.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:08 AM

Connecting Threads also has free shipping states side of you spend $50 or more..and over $75 to Canada, Australia and United Kingdom. I think the quality of their fabrics is almost as good as your LQS

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
I say you can't beat Connecting Threads, I have never been disappointed in any of their fabrics except........ some of the Mirage, it seemed liked the color was spray painted or something, it was a bit stiff and did not work well for a backing, I haven't tried it yet for piecing. Just the other day I ordered a fat quarter of solid black with my order, I wanted to see if it was a good deep black and if it fades, I have it soaking now in HOT water and there is a tiny tiny bit of color so for me it passes.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 AM

Hancock solids are the same quality as Joann's, unless you buy those marked "Kona". IMO, avoid the ones not Kona.

I do buy Joann's/Hancocks/HL fabrics, but I am super-selective. They are not generally included in the fabric "sales" nor do coupons apply, the fabrics are "marked up", then down "30%". Most of them are quite shabby/thin. Some of the designer lines are adequate.

And, you say it is 90 miles, just in case you have never been, both Hancocks & Joanns are jam-packed on Black Friday. Easily 40 people in line at the cutting tables. If you have good energy & patience, it is worth it. If you have any standing up health issues or tire easily, NOT worth it.

I have emphysema and bone on bone right knee. Just so you have something to compare stamina-wise.

Online stores I have used-love them all
Keepsake quilting
1000's bolts/1 nut
Connecting Threads
Southern Fabric
fabric.com