Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Solids >

Solids

Solids

Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I usually use solids or splotchy, tone on tone, whatever I can come up that matches prints I'm using. Don't know the maker nor do I care. Matching is more important to me.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 AM

I very rarely use solids. I use solids for the cornerstones in the sashing of the square in a square scrap quilts I make. Other than that I prefer marbles or a tone on tone.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 AM

I like to use tone on tone and (as one poster called them) splotchy fabrics more than true solids.

My favorite line is Robert Kaufman's Crystals (I think that's the name of it). It's a splotchy one. There is a dark blue that I am absolutely in love with, and our LQS carries the whole line.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I prefer tone on tones too. :D:D:D
Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 AM

I am in a solids only phase right now. They are hard to find, but my daughter found me a bundle of fat quarters in Purl in NYC, and on my last trip I found a jelly roll of solids too. I don't care for a name in particular, because my quilts are rarely utilitarian, mainly they are wall hangings that will never be washed. I only get them at LQS, so the quality is always good.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Pam

When I want solids, (I use mostly batiks) I drive 2 1/2 hours to an Amish shop! If it is a rainy day, better take a flashlight, no indoor lighting! They price fairly and are friendly to us "English". I have a few Amish friends, so get up there several times a year.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Banned

TRY GOOGLING "SOLID QUILTING FABRIC" WITH THE QUOTE MARKS. (caps inadvertent)

The well-know on-line vendors are pretty reliable. I've had mostly good experiences; some, however have rotten service though good cloth.
If you find sources who have what you want PM me and I'll tell you my good or bad.
Also, not sure if Plattsburg is near Quilting by the Lake in upstate NY; I haven't gone in several years (too pricey now)but I know they've moved from Morrisville.
Their quilt camp is usually in July/August for 2 weeks. If you're 1+1/2 to 2 hours away it's very worth a day trip. Great vendors and one of the very best quilt shows around.
I just looked it up; located now at Onondaga Community College. I see that Nancy Crow is back as a teacher this year. I love her work. All the teachers have a quilt in the show, one of the reason it's so good. She's a tough broad but I learned alot from her critiques when I took a week long class with her about 10 yrs. ago.
http://www.quiltingbythelake.com
Also, I just read the Amish suggestion. There's a shop in Indiana: Gohn Brothers; I think they're Mennonites, that sell solids reasonably prices. I seem to remember they have an on-line presence
Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 AM

I avoid solids. I will always pull them out of a kit and add in a tone on tone or a marbled or something. I just don't like working with solids.
If you went through my substancial fabric stash, the only solids you would see are the ivory Kona cotton that I sometimes use for labels. Other than that, there is none.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
When I want solids, (I use mostly batiks) I drive 2 1/2 hours to an Amish shop! If it is a rainy day, better take a flashlight, no indoor lighting! They price fairly and are friendly to us "English". I have a few Amish friends, so get up there several times a year.
Are you talking about Miller's Dry Goods south of Arthur, IL? I hit their store frequently. I also go to the Stitch N Sew in downtown Arthur quite a bit. I like their selection of fabrics too.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gramakitten
Solids in a quilt give it a total different look. You see the patterns more. Therefore you have to challenge yourself to use them more. We had a week retreat with Gwen Marston that was only solids. Loved it. I will try to post my daughters quilt that she made. Mine is still just a top. lol

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks so! Sometimes you just NEED a solid. :)