Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Solution to Emb. Thread Unraveling in Storage

I recall the problem of thread coming unwound being brought up awhile back. What I did also keeps the thread from getting dusty if you store it on a thread bed. As soon as I can get the hubster to make me a large thread bed, that's where mine are going to go.

I purchased 2" x 3" plastic bags (100 for $1.99) and 3" x 4" (100 for $2.47) at Hobby Lobby and put them around the threads. The bags are found in the jewelry making section. Works great - no more unraveling. If a little bit of thread comes loose when I put the spool in the bag, I just turn the spool until the thread re-winds. Comes in handy when I take the thread with me somewhere.

Hope this helps someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    another solution:
    cut panty hose or knee socks into 'bands' about an inch 1/2 to 2 inches wide and put them on the spools like rubber bands....

I like that one, too.

I would have never thought of this!

Great ideas!! My threads are one big mess.

I use the hole reiforcers for paper a sheet goes a long way.

Sometimes I wrap a scrap of fabric (selvedges work really well) around the spool a couple times. If there isn't room to tie it, I use tape if it is wide enough so the tape doesn't touch the thread.

Nina~
    Thanks for sharing your idea and PIC! That's really a good idea!!! Probably a lot more convenient than my scrap-wrapping! LOL! :D

Nina, I used those bags for balls of pearl cotton (I did a lot of Hardanger and drawn thread designs.) Works great, and I punched a hole in the side of the bag and just pulled out what I needed - kept the thread nice, clean and contained! I always had a needlework project in my bag when I was out and about, and those bags worked flawlessly.

All my embroidery thread is put away in an antique buffet, so I just buy thread net by the yard from The Sophisticated Stitcher - cut off about an inch at a time.

Wow! Looks like we are a creative bunch when it comes to solving a problem. I really like the reinforcements idea. Will pass that on to some friends.

I'm too klutzy to use the scrap tie method, but it is also a good idea.

Thanks, ladies!