Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
solutions for sore fingers >

solutions for sore fingers

solutions for sore fingers

Old 12-21-2012, 07:06 AM

I am an on and off hand quilter. I make a crib quilt, mostly applique , for each new grand child. Each quilt is designed to represent something special in the family. My son and his wife are now expecting twins so I am quilting more than expected! and my fingers are killing me. I have a leatherlike thing for my middle pushing finger and that works fine but the thumb and especially the under middle and index finger are full of pricks and terrible. I cream them up with various things over night but is there any protecion I can use that will still let me sew (feel if the needle is through) without leaving me like a pin cushion?
Thanks!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm View Post
what a timely topic. my hands hurt today, just that achyness in the joints feeling. I just wait for the "kinks" to work out but I think I will try the Vicks, I think it's turning out to be the miracle cure for everything.

Side effect, my cough should ease for a while, I think I can handle that.

Barb
My solution for achey hands is to buy a couple pair of the very stretchy little knit gloves you can buy at Wally World for under a dollar a pair. Put on the first pair, then the second. Sleep in them------------or wear them a few minutes thru the day. They are better than any pain relief.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by sharono View Post
. I cream them up with various things over night but is there any protecion I can use that will still let me sew (feel if the needle is through) without leaving me like a pin cushion?
Thanks!
Hi Sharon,

Try electrical tape on your finger. You can still feel the needle but it won't prick.

Janet
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM

sounds like a great idea. thank you!
as long as i have you here, what size needle do you use? Is it easier to push in needles with higher numbers even though they end up bending?
Sharon
Old 12-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm View Post
what a timely topic. my hands hurt today, just that achyness in the joints feeling. I just wait for the "kinks" to work out but I think I will try the Vicks, I think it's turning out to be the miracle cure for everything.

Side effect, my cough should ease for a while, I think I can handle that.

Barb
Put a generous amount of Vicks on the bottom of your feet, and then wear warm socks over them..It works great for coughs and nchest congestion..sounds crazy but works!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

I am sorry for intruding on this discussion, since the only callouses I get these days are from knitting chainmail (yes, chainmail)... but I would like to offer the following advice based on my experiences.

First:
Oz of Prep vs Lb of Cure; Stretch each of the muscles gently from the forearms to your fingers before you work. A lot of hand and finger pain it actually due to tightened tendons and muscles in the forearms. Even a little bit of this will make a big difference. If you are wondering if YOU need to do this ask yourself if you are always trying to stretch them out afterwards...

Second:
Many of my students found that they could reduce the after effects of a lot of hand/finger use if they increased their water intake before hand. My doctor confirmed that mild dehydration can exasperate arthritis and stiff older joints, and that especially in the winter when heaters are drying folks out indoors, the problem gets worse.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 PM

I like emu oil.......just rub a little on my fingers before bed, after an evening of handsewing and I'm good to go in the morning.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM

When I started hand quilting, my MIL told me the best thing for sore fingers was to stick them in some rubbing alcohol before I went to bed at night. I found this to work wonders.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by sharono View Post
sounds like a great idea. thank you!
as long as i have you here, what size needle do you use? Is it easier to push in needles with higher numbers even though they end up bending?
Sharon
Sharon, if you're having trouble pushing the needle through, try a different needle. Sometimes a smaller needle will help (the higher the number, the smaller the needle), sometimes a bigger needle will do the trick. If the needle is bending, try to lessen the tension of the quilt sandwich.

Janet