Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
solutions for sore fingers >

solutions for sore fingers

solutions for sore fingers

Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 AM

Do you have sore fingers after hand quilting here are a few tricks to try hope this helps!!!! :wink:

Chapstick

Bag Balm (more commonly used for cow's udders)

Styptic pencil keeps bleeding to a minimum
in case of pricks

Dampen sore fingers and rub them over a bar of
soap before bed

Soak fingers in warm water with Johnson's(TM) foot
soap; smooth callouses with a pumice stone

Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 AM

I just started "hand sewing" when putting the binding on my quilts. I found that using Mole Skin Plus (found in the foot notions isle at WalMart) works best for me. I rarely have the needle go through the mole skin and it is flexible enough for me to do other things without having to take it off.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by sandybeach
I just started "hand sewing" when putting the binding on my quilts. I found that using Mole Skin Plus (found in the foot notions isle at WalMart) works best for me. I rarely have the needle go through the mole skin and it is flexible enough for me to do other things without having to take it off.
I'll have to try that! Good idea!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Bebe,

I guess I handquilt so often that my callouses never go away. One advantage or disadvantage of getting older is that I have less feeling in my fingers to begin wth. Occasionsly I stick myself really hard. Years ago I volunteered at our local school and stubbed my finger on the Mimograph machine. It bled like a stuck pig because I had actually ripped the callous off of my finger. It healed ASAP. When working on a frame I use both hands so I have callouses on both hands. Using both hands makes reaching a lot easier.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 PM

In the winter my fingers, mostly my thumbs crack and while all the other products do help, I have found the best thing for me is to dab some Carmex or chapstick on the sore spot. Most handy because I usually have a small jar of Carmex in my pocket for chapped lips this time of the year! :D
Old 12-19-2008, 08:53 PM

My son brought me some "Rub-It", found at truck stops for truckers to use on callouses.

This stuff is fantastic! It is sold at TA truck stops. I use it at night on my fingers (I do everything by hand) and in the morning they are all smooth again.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Almost 30 years ago I belonged to a quilting group made up of ladies in their 70's and 80's. I was the token youngster. These ladies believed that the sewing machine was bad and was for "quick bedding" in an emergency. They taught me to use Vick's vaporub for sore fingers. And it worked. I have since graduated to machine sewing and quilting, but haven't given up on the Vicks.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 AM

what a timely topic. my hands hurt today, just that achyness in the joints feeling. I just wait for the "kinks" to work out but I think I will try the Vicks, I think it's turning out to be the miracle cure for everything.

Side effect, my cough should ease for a while, I think I can handle that.

Barb
Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 AM

I think we had a competition for bad hands--I'd win. In the winter I usually have 4-6 splits. I found some stuff from Canada--a sealant--but Wal-Mart doesn't sell it anymore. So, this winter I've resorted to super glue. At night I plaster something on my hands--Glove Me Tender, or Burt's Bees Almond Hand cream, or his hand salve. I tried A+D ointment last night. I find I can only hand sew in the morning--my splits are too sore by night time. I hesitate to work with fabric without band-aids sometimes because one may bleed without me knowing.

I noticed yesterday that a big needle was much easier to get through the fabric that smaller ones. I thought it'd be the other way around.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I'm gonna try some of these remedies..thank you all.

For times when your fingers and joints are sore and its hard to pull the needle through, just grab a balloon and use it to wrap around the needle. Makes it really easy to pull it through.

I tried that liquid bandaid stuff for my fingers and it works pretty well, then just peels off when you are done.