Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some advice please! >

Some advice please!

Some advice please!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM

I, too, am working on a hexagon quilt called Grandmother's Flower Garden. It pretty much has to be hand sewn, but I really enjoy it. I think yours is beautiful.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nicky Slade
Hi Carla,

It's taken me some time to come back to the forum but I've made some progress with the quilt and I found your advice really helpful. I've cut the edges off straight and started attaching a solid colour border which is already beginning to bring it all together a bit. How did you go about quilting yours?

Thanks,

Nicky
Nicky,

I am so sorry I am just now responding to your question; I am away from the board quite a lot these days. I do my quilting by machine, but wanted the hand-quilted look, so I put monofilament thread in the top & cotton in the bobbin. I adjusted the tension so the bobbin thread would pull through to the top and give the appearance of hand stitching. I then quilted 1/4" inside of each seam within each hexagon. If you do not want to take this much time quilting the top, Ceannastahr's idea of an all over meandor would be ideal; fancy quilting will not be seen. It is a beautiful quilt, & I hope we get to see it when you're done. :D

Carla P