Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some Bow Tucks questions...... >

Some Bow Tucks questions......

Some Bow Tucks questions......

Old 08-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

How long did it take you to make your first one? second one?

Is there a requirement for something in the bottom of the bag?

I keep seeing these wonderful pictures of Bow Tucks bag, but I've never made a bag before and I'm worried about getting in over my head, especially with complicated instructions.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 PM

I have yet to make my first one, but I was looking over the instructions and they seemed pretty clear cut with lots of pictures. And you can always ask the board here. They're always willing and able to help out a newbie!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 PM

The first one took about 4 hours now I can do one in about 2 hours from start to finish. Seemed like the first one took forever but I kept reading the directions wrong. Once I got it made I do not need the directions just the dimensions to cut my pieces.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Up North: that's good to hear. I'm struggling with my first one, and I've got help from 3 quilting friends. They're coming over Wed so we can hopefully finish our first bag.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM

Cutting and ironing the Pellon on take me the longest. Once all of that is done, the assembly is fairly fast. It takes me about 4 hours from start to finish. I love making them but, only for people who appreciate them.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
Up North: that's good to hear. I'm struggling with my first one, and I've got help from 3 quilting friends. They're coming over Wed so we can hopefully finish our first bag.
http://justenoughtime.wordpress.com/...6/01/ladybugs/

Check this out it helped me.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Okay, I'm a little slow so my first one took about 8 hours but it's not like I just sat and sewed. I was doing other things too. Washing, cooking, napping, TVing, sitting at my computer instead of the sewing machine.

I've made about ten so far and they all took me a little longer than I'd hoped but I do quite a bit of quilting on the outer and inner layers. Plus I try something different on each one.

The first one might be tricky so don't use your finest fabric on it. Experiment with the first one so you can work out all the kinks, although the instructions are clear once you get to know them. Read everything before you start.

You don't have to put anything in the bottom. I find that is just a good place for small items to get lost anyway. :lol:
Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I allow a day to make one. Some say they can make one in 4 hours. I guess I'm a slow poke. I us cotton batting and spray baste it is cheaper and works just as well as the pellon stuff called for in the pattern. I did my 8th one yesterday. They are fun to do .....relax and enjoy!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM

I had never made anything like a purse before. It probably took me 6-8hrs, I am very slow and I had to sort of add to the fabric for the top section,because it wasn't big enough I know I could go a lot faster next time. Just make sure you read the pattern all the way throught before you begin. I had to friends that gave advice. For the bottom I made a sleeve lined with the fuseble fleece and I cut out plastic canvas and slid it in the also. I like it, it is not to stiff and not to flimsy. I am looking forward to making another, had a lot of fun.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Have not made one yet, but have made several others that are "just outta my head" - each one different size, shape, # of pockets, quilted or not, type of handles, etc.

The first one was the hardest as it had been quite a few years since I did one before. Used to make them as baby gifts.