Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some helpful things I have in my sewing room >

Some helpful things I have in my sewing room

Some helpful things I have in my sewing room

Old 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Great ideas. I going to have to take some photos so I can post the thread holder DH made for me out of a piece of burl wood. :-D
Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Originally Posted by wildyard
That reminds me of what I do with my spare bobbins when I am using the cone threads, which is most of the time.
what brand of cone thread do you use ???
I have no idea, sorry. My sis-in-law, Patty, de-stashed a lot on me, for which I am ever so greatful. I also got some from Real Deals Dollar Store for $1 for the large cones and 2/$1 for the smaller cones. They were well wound and in plastic wrappers but not identified by brand. I tried one and it was great so went back and stocked up on the colors they had that I would likely use. :D
I am on SSD so have to milk the budget where and when I can. If it works, I use it.
Hugs and smiles
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM

A suggestion for keeping your scissors handy, at your machine..I have mine with a ribbon tied to the scissor handle and the other end tied to a drawer pull.........I am always dropping them, but this way - I just pull them back up on the machine....keeps me from loosing them all the time.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
A suggestion for keeping your scissors handy, at your machine..I have mine with a ribbon tied to the scissor handle and the other end tied to a drawer pull.........I am always dropping them, but this way - I just pull them back up on the machine....keeps me from loosing them all the time.
I did try that with my little ones with the ribbon on them. But now that I have the ribbon on the cone thread holder, they can't drop off the desk, so I don't have to haul them up from the floor anymore. The ribbon is long enough to reach for thread snipping which is their use for me. For some reason, I almost never drop my full size scissors, but am always dropping those little ones. LOL
Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
What a smarty you are! Thanks for all those great tips! I'll be puting them to good use! I sharpen the chop stick in my pencil sharpener. The point is great for tearing PP and as a stilleto for pushing fabric through the machine. I love them. Cheap as chop sticks!
Oh, that's a good one! For some reason, it never occured to me to sharpen the points further... sure that would make it an even better stilleto for pushing things carefully thru the machine.

<sigh> It will be one more thing I need to keep out of my quilt 'inspectors' little paws. <giggle>
Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM

GREAT tips! I love this site, like others have said I learn so much. I hope others with ideas and suggestions and tips will post them too. Thanks for taking the time to share!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Really great tips - thanks for posting these. I have a bunch of ideas already - need to hit the Dollar Tree tonight(grin).
Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM

I save all the glass cups from the scented candels...have used them all over the house for storage of little things to crayons to a pencil cups....to the hair clips for bindings...very sturdy and heavy so they hold things with out tipping over....