Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some Newbie Questions >

Some Newbie Questions

Some Newbie Questions

Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM

Hope you all dont mind- I just had a few questions. Im sure you all remember how overwhelming it can be when you first start out and dont know a thing :-)

1. Why do you make your own binding? Is it just more customized? Cant you just buy the stuff that I see in the store?

2. What are blender fabrics?

3. What ruler/cutting mat size do you all recommend(real limited budget,so I know the big sizes are out of the question ).

4. Does it matter what size your rotary cutter is? I have one, but have no idea what size it is- i forgot LOL

5. Any helpful beginner tips or timesavers? Anything you found out the hard way?

6.With all the fabrics,batting,threads, tools etc... seems like its not a inexpensive hobby to start. Any tips to share on how you keep the cost down to a reasonable amount? (if I start shopping for fabric like I do scrapbook paper~I KNOW i'm in trouble :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Look in thrift stores for fabric and notions. Yard sales are great.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dasmith2
Hope you all dont mind- I just had a few questions. Im sure you all remember how overwhelming it can be when you first start out and dont know a thing :-)

1. Why do you make your own binding? Is it just more customized? Cant you just buy the stuff that I see in the store?

If you make your own it will match the quilt better as opposed to having to make do with what the stores have

My understanding of blenders are they are fabrics that are not a solid- but not a pattern- does that make sense ?

3. What ruler/cutting mat size do you all recommend(real limited budget,so I know the big sizes are out of the question ).

I use a 24x 24 mat and a size 45 cutter. I find that is a good size for my hand

4. Does it matter what size your rotary cutter is? I have one, but have no idea what size it is- i forgot LOL

Size 45 cutter - fits my hand nicely.

5. Any helpful beginner tips or timesavers? Anything you found out the hard way?

Too many to list , can't pick just one

6.With all the fabrics,batting,threads, tools etc... seems like its not a inexpensive hobby to start. Any tips to share on how you keep the cost down to a reasonable amount? (if I start shopping for fabric like I do scrapbook paper~I KNOW i'm in trouble :mrgreen:

Shop sales and use coupons as much as possible !

Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM

I haven't found a hobbie yet that doesn't get expensive. Just watch yourself!
We make our own binding because it goes with the individual quilts that way and it is of better quality usually than what I've seen in the stores.
Blenders are fabrics with texture but not much design. That are a color that goes with the other fabrics you are using ( ie it blends with them). I would suggest that you get the biggest cutting mat you can afford. When you are cutting large pieces of fabric it will help. If I could only have one ruler it would be the 6 1/2 by 24" one. I use that one the most. As for the rotary cutter, I would suggest the 45. It is up to you to find the one that works best for you though.
Hope some of this helps. These are just my opinions.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I haven't found a hobbie yet that doesn't get expensive. Just watch yourself!
So true!

Just stick to this wonderful board, and you will learn A LOT! Good luck!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

It is only a single thickness of fabric, making your own you are using a double thickness and you can choose a wider variety of fabrics, too

Fabrics that are usually one color with different shades to them, they "blend in" because they don't have other distracting colors

Minimum would be a 12" X 24" but you will find squaring up 12 1/2" blocks a challenge, I would go up atleast one size if possible

a 45mm is good for most cutting, I only found it helpful to use a 60mm when cutting through 6+ thickness of fabric. The smaller 30mm (?) are needed to cut around curved templates

Read the directions atleast 3 times before starting a pattern. Measure 2+ times before starting to cut.

Joanns coupons :D for supplies, watch here for super sales at different shops/stores. You will find many tips here on the board for saving money. Used clothing for fabric is one :wink:

Old 10-04-2010, 02:41 PM

You can use clothing fabric?? Thats awesome because my 4 kids are always outgrowing something! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for answering my questions :-) I really appreciate it!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Good questions.

I would wait for Joann's 40 or 50% off coupons.

17" x 24" mat if you can affort it.

I have been collecting large men's shirts from the thrift store on the days they have $1 clothing sale. I currently getting plaid flannel shirts for a rag quilt.

Garage sales are good source too if you are patient.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Yes, stretchy or thin fabrics can be used, just find iron on stabilizer to put on the backs of them. What fun memory quilts they make :D:D:D

Jeans, cotton shirts, etc... all work well too. Thriftstores and garage sales are a great source of fabric :wink: My family/friends are saving their jeans for me :D:D:D
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM

I like it better, i use the fabrics from the project that are left over.

blenders and tonal fabrics add depth to a quilt..they "read" the main color..

Self healing mat at least 18x24
Ruler 6 1/2 x 24 or 18

no it doesn't matter, 45mm is the most commonly used for most of us.

measure twice...cut once! Read ALL the instructions,before you begin cutting fabric.

Coupons at Joanns, watch for when people on the board tell you about a great sale on fabrics!