Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
some place to get acrylic templates cut??? >

some place to get acrylic templates cut???

some place to get acrylic templates cut???

Old 07-22-2015, 10:07 PM

Default some place to get acrylic templates cut???

On a bus trip shop hop this week I bought a pattern that has 5 pieces per block for a unique curved pattern. I can see either myself or my daughter using this pattern several times (plus it included several sizes). So I'd like to have some acrylic or plexiglass templates cut to make it easier and more accurate.

does anyone know of a place that will cut the for me? Home Depot? Lowes? a glass company? or just my local lumberyard?

Also what material works best and is most durable and accurately cut?

And lastly, do you just tape the pattern to the materials and cut?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2015, 01:29 AM

I would probably try your local hardware store or local glass cutting place. The glass cutting place will have plexiglass as well. Are the templates particularly curvy or just mostly straight? When I had custom glass tops cut for some of my furniture (with curved fronts) the glass place told me to provide a life-size paper template for them to use.

Or...do you have a friend that has a scroll saw? If so, perhaps just some MDF board from Home Depot or Lowes with the templates copied/pasted onto the board which could then be cut with the scroll saw? MDF is very stable.

Not sure which of the above options would be the most cost-effective.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

Depending on how much you plan on using the template and how accurate you want them to be, I would recommend Baycreek Quilting Products. http://www.quilttemplates.com/
Their custom acrylic templates can be used with rotary cutters. They also can laser etch guidelines etc. on the template. I had a couple made earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised at the cost. They provide free estimates.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:38 AM

I have had this done for just that reason and I took the pattern to a glass shop. They cut the pieces precisely, and smoothed the edges. I asked for 1/4" plexiglass so I could use it with my rotary cutter. The price was very reasonable. Seems like there were 4 or 5 pieces and the bill was around $20. That was in 2013. Depending on your location, the prices would vary - I would tell them the limit I was willing to pay so they would be able to determine whether they were interested in the project since your shapes might be more intricate and take more time to cut. As quilters we understand that some projects like 4 patch are fast, and some like applique are slow, so is cutting plexiglass. Not just the price of materials. Good luck
Old 07-23-2015, 03:38 AM

I believe there are sellers on the site Etsy who do this, too. Check it out.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

If you happen to have a Go or other die cut machine you can get a custom die made. My friend had one made for the Cleopatra's Fan block for her Go machine. The price was very reasonable considering it had eight different shapes. I had a few templates made at a local glass shop. They were laser cut and accurate. Hand cut is hard to get each perfect.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-23-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:46 AM

Great info, PaperPrincess, tks.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I am surprised that the pattern didn't already have a ready made acrylic template for you to purchase. So many do including patterns design by Jaybird.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I would at least check.
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am surprised that the pattern didn't already have a ready made acrylic template for you to purchase. So many do including patterns design by Jaybird.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 AM

I heard Home Depot would cut them.