Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some ???s for professional quilters >

Some ???s for professional quilters

Some ???s for professional quilters

Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 AM

im not a profesional quilter i just quilt on a mid arm for myself and my freinds but some things ive run accrost were way to much fabric in the borders, thay were wavy, and seams that werent sewn right to the end these things can be quilted out but it is easyer on the quilter if they are fixed beforhand. im sure if you do your best and make sure all the seams are secure and the borders arent to wavy everything should be fine. if your realy woryed you could ask the quilter to give you some advise on what makes an easy top to work on.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Some LAQ really do work miracles. But I would be willing to bet serious money that some quilts are much easier to work on because they lay flat and "square" and are prepared well - and others are in the "oh, my" category.

I think the questions really are:

What can I do with my quilt top and bottom to make it easier for a LAQ do a good job on it?

Are there some things that are difficult to work out in the quilting process?
(Examples:
1)The left border measures 90 inches and is ruffled and the right border measure 80 inches and is laying flat
2)The stitching on a piano key border is coming out
3) Skimpy seams that pull out when the top is stretched out)

Is there a quilt top that is "impossible" to quilt and have it come out looking nice?

I am not a LAQ - but it seems reasonable to me that having a top that lays flat and and is well prepared would be ever so much easier to work on. Well prepared - it has been pressed, stray threads on the back have been trimmed, no open seams, etc, etc.

An analogy: If you were a carpenter - would you prefer to work with straight boards or warped boards?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by june6995 View Post
What mistakes? Who says they are mistakes? Your work is your work. And what right does anyone have to just your sewing? If you are paying for an opinion, that is one thing. If you are paying for their work, their expertise, that should not include their opinion, UNLESS you have asked for it. And the Board has stated and reaffirmed, there are no quilt police. If a "professional quilter will not quilt your work, then they are not professional. They are picky and choosey about what they will do, they won't get much work. I doubt there are very many "perfect" stitchers in the world of quilting. We stitch quilts because we love it, we love the fabrics and the pleasure of seeing something accomplished.

Speaking for myself, I use a mid-arm machine, I do not do heirloom stitching. I do meander on my quilts. I make quilts for charities and they are made with love and the idea that they will bring comfort and warmth to the person who receives them. They will never become heirlooms to be put away in a cedar chest and never used. My quilts go into service and I hope they are welcomed and loved by those in need.

Never worry about someone's opinion. If you are not asking for their opinion but paying for a service rendered,
they should have no complaints. AND if they snicker behind your back and speak to other customers about the sloppy work, they are NOT professional, and do not deserve to quilt for other people.

Gather your courage, take the quilt to a quilter and speak only about the fact of how you want your quilt finished.
Leave out the comments about your workman ship. After all, once the quilt is finished, the mistakes on the back are hidden in the batting and backing. Get your quilt quilted and keep on going...make more quilts.

June in Cincinnati
DITTO to this post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by june6995 View Post
What mistakes? Who says they are mistakes? Your work is your work. And what right does anyone have to just your sewing? If you are paying for an opinion, that is one thing. If you are paying for their work, their expertise, that should not include their opinion, UNLESS you have asked for it. And the Board has stated and reaffirmed, there are no quilt police. If a "professional quilter will not quilt your work, then they are not professional. They are picky and choosey about what they will do, they won't get much work. I doubt there are very many "perfect" stitchers in the world of quilting. We stitch quilts because we love it, we love the fabrics and the pleasure of seeing something accomplished.

Speaking for myself, I use a mid-arm machine, I do not do heirloom stitching. I do meander on my quilts. I make quilts for charities and they are made with love and the idea that they will bring comfort and warmth to the person who receives them. They will never become heirlooms to be put away in a cedar chest and never used. My quilts go into service and I hope they are welcomed and loved by those in need.

Never worry about someone's opinion. If you are not asking for their opinion but paying for a service rendered,
they should have no complaints. AND if they snicker behind your back and speak to other customers about the sloppy work, they are NOT professional, and do not deserve to quilt for other people.

Gather your courage, take the quilt to a quilter and speak only about the fact of how you want your quilt finished.
Leave out the comments about your workman ship. After all, once the quilt is finished, the mistakes on the back are hidden in the batting and backing. Get your quilt quilted and keep on going...make more quilts.

June in Cincinnati

Your comments are so well put. I totally agree.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:58 AM

I wonder if a FMQ with a long or mid arm would consider answering this -

If you were going to give a quilt top to another person to FMQ for you - what are the things that you would check off to make sure were "done":

1 - Make sure that all strings are clipped (I've read on here that strings can show through etc).
2 - Make sure the top lies flat (if not, mark it as something to speak about with your FMQ person).

Sort of a check list like this? It would really help me to develop my own check list. At least the person I took the quilt top to would know that I tried and that I want it to be ready for them to quilt with the least problems.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 AM

I wonder if a FMQ with a long or mid arm would consider answering this -

If you were going to give a quilt top to another person to FMQ for you - what are the things that you would check off to make sure were "done":

1 - Make sure that all strings are clipped (I've read on here that strings can show through etc).
2 - Make sure the top lies flat (if not, mark it as something to speak about with your FMQ person).

Sort of a check list like this? It would really help me to develop my own check list. At least the person I took the quilt top to would know that I tried and that I want it to be ready for them to quilt with the least problems.

And June 6995 - I loved your post. I agree with it but still I'd love to have a check list for myself!
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Default Just do your best

I handquilt for others and I will take almost anything. I prefer no open seams, but these are easy enough to anchor as I go. I have techniques for attempting to flatten/straighten borders. The only thing that is almost impossible is a Lone Star that has turned into a volcano. My advise is to notify the quilter of construction problems, and dont sweat any unmatched points. Your quilter probably has dealt with these issues numerous times and could teach fixes if asked.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 AM

I am a professional long arm Quilter and I will quilt what ever you send - the only thing that makes my job difficult is borders that are making the quilt wavy (bunched up ) I ll do my best on that but there is no quarentee you will have no pleats - I request threads be trimmed just becasue it make you work look better and just so it quilts nicly your semas should be together (No unsewn seams) but I will do my best to quilt it - I just chage 15 dollars an hour ot fix unsewn seams....but each quilt is a unique pieace of art so mistakes are not really mistakes but design elements.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:18 AM

Thank you for your responses.
It seems that the 2 main problems are wavy borders and loose seams. I will be sure to check those trouble areas.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:42 AM

I am a longarm quilter and I have never turned away a quilt. Although most quilts I've seen are very good, some are perfect, there are those that are nightmares to quilt. When I see one that I know will be a problem I gently explain up front to the customer what problems I might encounter in quilting their quilt such as areas that won't lie flat. I tell then that if they don't lie flat and even when ironing, they will likely not lie flat and even once on the quilting machine. Many times I can quilt some of the problems out, but I can't guarantee. If they made it and are receptive to suggestions I can give then tips to help prevent this next time.The most common problem I see is wavy borders.
I have never seen a nightmare from someone that has pieced the quilt that was brought to me. I have seen several horrible ones from relatives that are not quilters. Example--"Aunt Mary died and I found this in the attic. Can you quilt it for me?"It's unbelievable what you can find in those attics. Aunt Mary left it in the attic for a reason--it was a nightmare! Take it to your longarm quilter and ask if there is anything you could improve on your next quilt. We are always own own worst critics. I'll just bet your quilt is gorgeous.