Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some ways to mess up a quilt - >

Some ways to mess up a quilt -

Some ways to mess up a quilt -

Old 08-17-2015, 03:11 AM

Or you started on one machine and finish on another machine that you discovered the 1/4" seam isnt the same size!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 AM

I would get rid of the cat
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

The pieces are cut the wrong size -
The seams are the wrong size -
The seams are uneven -
The template patterns were not accurate -
The thread was old and now the seams are breaking -
The sewing machine tensions were off and this is why the seams are popping -
A trimming snip ended up being too deep -
Was impatient when removing some stitching and now there are tears in places -
Barely had enough fabric to start with and then made cutting errors -
It got blood on it from the human -
One of the fabrics from this grouping was used for another project - and a substitute is hard to find -

I think there are more ways - these are just some of the ways I've had issues with a project -

Any additions to the list?
Sad, but I had all of these happen yesterday with ONE block! Don't even get me started about my thread problem.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Or you are furiously sewing late in the night for that new baby due any minute....and the belt on your machine breaks and you don't have a spare. Then you realise the backup machines are not as robust as the one with the broken belt so you have to put everything on hold 'til the new belt arrives....then the baby arrives early (today)!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 AM

The trick is to change your perception.

None of these are show stoppers. They're not even really problems if you put on your rose-tinted glasses. This is a list of OPPORTUNITIES!

Maybe I'm a little crazy but I kind of like a big screw-up, as long as it's not on something I'm desperate to finish on a deadline. A big screw up can lead to some seriously creative thoughts, and sometimes the "repair" or the plan B ends up much more interesting than the original idea.

Of course, most of my quilts are scrappy or at least have some sort of scrappy element to them, and I think that lends itself to "creative fixes" a little more easily than a more regimented quilt pattern/style would. But all in all...if there's no deadline, to me a screw up means it's time to have some good creative fun!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Or you are furiously sewing late in the night for that new baby due any minute....and the belt on your machine breaks and you don't have a spare. Then you realise the backup machines are not as robust as the one with the broken belt so you have to put everything on hold 'til the new belt arrives....then the baby arrives early (today)!
Wait ... Did I just read you have a new little one? Congratulations!!!!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 AM

WARNING: TWO OR THREE OF THE ABOVE CAN RESULT IN A UFO! Just recently picked up a UFO I had put aside. Was enjoying continuing the project, happy with the quilt as it was emerging. Why in the world did I stop and put this one away? It is a Kalidescope quilt. Sure there is one block that the bias stretched and the block is unusable but I have enough extra that this won't be a problem. The sashing I chose overpowers the blocks but that's not a problem I have fabric in my stash that will work much better. I probably don't have enough of the teal for the hexagon triangles, wrong just barely enough. I'm sure these three problems were why I put the top away but on re-examination they weren't problems at all. I've been quilting for 47 years and still am learning how to not give up.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
Picking out what I thought were great coordinating colors in the store, only to make a block and realize they are not so great after all.
Those I consider my "stash" that I will use "someday"!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM

Planning a day of quilting with a friend...
Son Calls and says Mom, I need help. I was driving to work and I just flipped my car.. I'm not hurt, BUT...
I decided the events of the day were not optimal for the quilting process with my concentration being a "bit scattered".

Thanks for the list Bearisgray, we have all had our mishaps, and most of us have experienced one or more of your list. I usually go by the old adage; "Whatever does not kill you serves to make you stronger. " Then there are the times I end up saying, "If I do not leave this for now, I will kill someone or something." And, actually I think most of us can laugh at some of the things we have experienced,,,Now.

Happy Quilting,
Susan
Old 08-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eastslopequilter View Post
I would get rid of the cat
I figure that was my fault for having it so inviting to him.

We don't have any cats or dogs any more. I do miss the companionship. I hope they are all in kitty or doggy heaven now