Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone Help~~~PLEASE

Blog Entries
    I have a 1930's red and white basket quilt that has an INK STAIN
    on it.
    HOW DO I REMOVE IT WITHOUT RUINING THE QUILT ???

D*E*S*P*E*R*A*T*E

The only way I know to remove ink is hairspray and scrubbing but that may be to harsh to do to this quilt.

You would have to test on an inconspicuous area of the red fabric, but I have always used alcohol. You saturate a paper towel with the alcohol and then put more layers underneath and just blot, blot, blot until most of the ink is gone and then wash. You have to move the paper towels frequently as they absorb the ink.

Some folks have good luck with hair spray, just make sure it is the kind with alcohol in it as that is the key ingredient. I just skip that and got straight to the alcohol.

hmmm for most clothing I have used hair spray. Not sure about a vintage quilt.... Many experts here will have much better advice...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    You would have to test on an inconspicuous area of the red fabric, but I have always used alcohol. You saturate a paper towel with the alcohol and then put more layers underneath and just blot, blot, blot until most of the ink is gone and then wash. You have to move the paper towels frequently as they absorb the ink.

Some folks have good luck with hair spray, just make sure it is the kind with alcohol in it as that is the key ingredient. I just skip that and got straight to the alcohol.
    alcohol...as in booze ??

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009

alcohol...as in booze ??
    No as in rubbing!

I have even gotten Sharpie marker out of a micro suede couch using rubbing alcohol and a paper towel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009

alcohol...as in booze ??
    No as in rubbing!
    Thanks...don't want a drunk quilt...lol

good luck, just blot don't scrub.

Yeah...the reason why hairspray used to work was because of the alcohol. I saw a clip on it where they say the ingredients have changed even in aqua net so that one doesn't work anymore.

So, rubbing alcohol and blot, blot, blot!

I agree on the alcohol -- have had good luck with hand sanitizer, which is mostly ethyl alcohol. If all else fails, add an applique to cover the stain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast