Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sooo...many quilting magazines... >

sooo...many quilting magazines...

sooo...many quilting magazines...

Old 08-06-2011, 03:35 AM

At my age, I have more quilt patterns than I could make if I lived another 83 years. I dropped all my mags to save money. I've copied all I want from the old ones and donate them to my ASG quild. Twice a year when we have our luncheon events and speakers, we have a couple of tables set up for getting rid of stuff at a VERY low price. Money goes to help support our chapter.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 PM

I hate the thought of ripping out pages / downsizing my quilting magzines, but they do tend to take over :-(
Old 08-07-2011, 02:37 AM

Just a thought regarding your magazines.
Can you donate the to the local schools for the children to cut up and use for pasteing.
Our schools here take them for that purpose.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I have been going through many, many magazines...and tearing out templates and patterns that I would really use...sadly most have only one pattern or template I would really do and many have none. I will donate them to the library...there is a take free rack. So far I have a pile of 20...and so many more to go through...I am putting the patterns and templates that I like and that I would really make into a binder. Wow this is going to make a huge dent in my mag. stash! I never reliazed I was addicted to them.
Did the same with my mag archive, the only problem THEN is sorting patterns and keeping TOO many in binders ! Out of room ! LOL I'm ready to go to the scan to disc method now ! Our guilds won't take them anymore, just too many donations ! :roll:
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
McCalls are my favorites, and I just subscribed to the online quilting magzine for free, which seems very nice. I have been letting the rest of my subscriptions go as they have come up for renewal and last week got an EARLY renewal notice from quilters Newsletter that blatantly said across the front of the envelope SERVICE INTERRUPTION NOTICE pending with the box checked it was in a 3/4 inch high blue band and the letters were 1/4 high. How embarrasing!! My husband came in with mail and was so incensed that even if I had planned on renewing in November I wouldn't now. How dare they send something like that in July no less? So my advice on the mags is list them for sale on sew its for sale, or offer them free for the price of shipping. I can access so many patterns online, I will not buy a pattern, and now its magazines too. Its hard when they come in your home to just toss them out guess thats the "saver" in me:)
I've had the same thing happen, really teed me off too ... and the other thing that burns me is when a mag won't offer their RENEWING customers as good a rate as NEW subscribers ! Where's the Reward for long time readers ?? I only subscribe to 2 quilt mag now, used to get 6 or 7 a few yrs ago. :roll: :(
Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
I have binders full of patterns I've either copied or torn out of Magazines. I still have 3 or 4 magazines I am getting in the mail but have decided when they expire maybe it's time to let them go. I've adopted a new plan for purchasing new books or magazines and so far it's worked for me. When looking at something new it MUST HAVE a minimum of 3 patterns I love or it stays on the shelf. With so many patterns available on line or here on the board,there is less reason for me to buy so this plan is already saving me money.Of course when friends pass their magazines on through me the same plan applies. You might think about giving this a try.
I do that with magazines too. I have been getting free magazines from my quilt group when they have them on the lucky door prize. If there is something of interest I as the person who won the magazine and they let me borrow it to copy the pattern then I return them.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 AM
tmg

I don't buy many magazines. Only when I take the kids to the bookstore. I will look at all they have pick the one I like the best and buy it with a cup of coffee and sit while the kids are looking for them some books to read. I have to approve of all the books.