Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sooooo excited. HELP!!!!!! >

sooooo excited. HELP!!!!!!

sooooo excited. HELP!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM

I have never "quilted" before. The quilt I put together 23 years ago I just put three layers together and sewed around the edges. I didn't realize that you have to "quilt" them together. I don't know the first thing about it. I know there is someone out there who can walk me through it. PLEEEEEASE. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM

I would pin baste what you have, and just stitch in a meander over the quilt. Start the basting and quilting at the center and work your way out. You might end up with some puckering on the back, but it is hard to avoid when the edges are all ready done.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:18 AM

You can tie them if you would prefer. About every 6 inches take a small stitch through all layers with crochet thread or 6 strands of embroidery floss and tie a square knot. Clip the ends about 1/2 inch long.

If you want to quilt them, I would go with straight lines, perhaps following a seam. For this I like to use a decorative stitch on the machine to make sure the fabric on both sides of the seam is secured.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Quilting is just sewing layers together. Don't be intimidated...just start in the center and work your way out. You will do just fine! Show pics when you're done...Someone is always here for help!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lovequiltedstars
I have never "quilted" before. The quilt I put together 23 years ago I just put three layers together and sewed around the edges. I didn't realize that you have to "quilt" them together. I don't know the first thing about it. I know there is someone out there who can walk me through it. PLEEEEEASE. Thanks.
If it's sewed around the edges, you may need to take that sewing out before you quilt. Typically you layer the 3 pieces (top, batting, backing) to make a "quilt sandwich" and baste those layers together (spray basting is popular now, but pins and thread basting are other methods). Only after layering and basting do you start to quilt by either hand or machine. Binding (finishing off the edges) is the very last step in the process.

There are lots of videos on http://www.youtube.com that demonstrate machine quilting and hand quilting, basting, binding, etc.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I have another dumb question: How do I sew the edges without it looking like a child got a hold of my sewing machine?? Maybe I can get a look at an edge to see how you did it.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lovequiltedstars
Thank you everyone for your help. I have another dumb question: How do I sew the edges without it looking like a child got a hold of my sewing machine?? Maybe I can get a look at an edge to see how you did it.
Are you familiar with binding? Most quilts are bound with a separate strip of fabric. Here is a link to a Youtube video that demonstrates how to do this by machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw