Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sorting scraps >

sorting scraps

sorting scraps

Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Hey blame it on Bonnie.. She started it!!!

Quiltville.com

And my house is far from perfectly clean.. Lets just say I have 'help' when it comes to maintaining the dust & tub grime!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 PM

By color and sometimes type. Blue's go in a bin etc.... but I have separate bins for batiks, Christmas, and metallics.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm not organized at all. Am getting ready to pull out scraps to teach 2 (or 3) people how to quilt starting from the beginning. I don't really separate - other than Christmas Fabric in one large tote, flannel in one large tote but it also has other fabric in it; and another 2 totes with larger scrap pieces in them. Am hoping to get a little more organized in the next month (LOL)
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm not terribly organized, but here is what I do: strips, all lengths, any width under 5", go in one container. Anything smaller than 2" goes in another. I cut 2" squares from other small pieces, and put those in a shoebox for a scrap quilt I'm slowly working on. All larger scraps are sorted into shoeboxes by color. There my system breaks down - I have a shoebox of random larger scraps not sorted by color, and anything a fat eighth or larger goes in with the yardage, stacked on shelves by color, except I have a lot of plastic bags laying around with all the scraps from particular projects together, or all the yardage I plan to use for a particular project. And all my old jeans and denim are in one box.

Umm, so that was more a description of my disorganization than my organization, I guess.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Size of the piece...

crumb- see thru drawer
2,3,4,5,6,plus all the half sizes - each in see thru drawers
5in and less strips in see thru drawers
6-10in strips drawer in see thru drawers
10 to WOF strips drawers- these are separated by colors in drawer
bins & baskets for scraps to be cut by accuquilt
Each accuquilt shapes have their own bins
Fat quarters in wall cd racks and large organizers/bookcase

that's about how I do it too.
Anything larger than FQ is sorted by colour or theme e.g. circus, food, wine etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM

I recently went to a Scrap Club class where the instructor showed us how she takes her scraps and turns them into quilts. She recommends 2.5" squares, 3.5" squares, 5 inch squares, 3.5" X 6.5" bricks and finally 2.5" WOF strips- just think of it as making your own pre-cuts. I purchased plastic shoe boxes and as I finish a project, I decide if the leftovers will go into the scrap container or cut up to go into one of the above boxes. I found that using an index card put inside the end of the box (so I can see on the shelf) is easiest since I now cut more sizes than the above. I also keep Christmas and Holiday separated from the others. FYI - got the shoe boxes at Costco, Iris-the lids don't crack like other brands and they fit snugly together. Once you get enough cut, you can make a scrappy quilt with any one or a combo of the pieces without buying more fabric for the top.
ANOTHER "REASON" to get more fabric so you can fill those scrap boxes. It is also a great way to have that last minute "quilt stuff" for a gift project. I have "stripped" leftover holiday strips-Halloween quilt leftovers- onto muslin and will turn it into a table topper.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM

I have anything I can get two or more 4 1/2 inch squares folded with my FQ's and yardage sorted by color in plastic containers. I work with mostly scraps so my yardage is far and few between. I keep strips in their own container, triangles in another. I keep "unloved" and foundation fabrics in a hat box. Anything that's not cotton is in a box I have labeled "other". And the weird wonky little pieces go into a picnic basket next to my work table. All of the crumbs go into a big plastic pickle jar that end up as stuffing for one of my furry family members.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM

I have a small box that I just throw scraps into. Once a year, I put on an audiobook and cut through all of them into predetermined template shapes and sizes. Then I start over. The pieces are saved in individual boxes until there are enough to make a quilt. The large hexagons are a new project.

Precut shapes include:
6 inch squares (for applique)
Drunkard's path parts
Apple Core
Tumblers (bright fabrics only)
5 & 7 inch hexagons
2 7/8 inch squares
2 1/2 inch squares
2 inch squares
2.5 inch strips
2 inch strips
1.5 inch strips

I tried other sorting methods, but found I just wasn't using the scraps. Having them precut makes them immediately available. Just plan what type of project you want to do and save for that size.