Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
That sound you hear... >

That sound you hear...

That sound you hear...

Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Yes, well, I am Stitchnripper. So I do feel your pain!!
Old 03-15-2015, 04:58 PM

I, too, am working on binding a quilt for a friend. First, I discovered her seams on the binding are far from straight. So here I am, watching TV and using my friendly Havel seam ripper to remove the binding. Then I will have to straighten the edges and square the corners and then I will reapply the binding and finish. Why it is that no one does these important things when they get the quilt back from the long arm quilter??????
Old 03-16-2015, 03:17 AM

I get sick thinking of my seam ripper. Made a king size quilt top for my daughter. I knew I did not like the backing...it had a sheen to it and would not lay right when I basted it. BUT....I proceeded quilting anyway instead of following my instincts. Halfway thru I knew it was not going to work, so I made the decision to take off the backing and start over with a different back. I have not yet recovered from the tedious task and all the little thread pieces I had to pick off. My seam ripper hung in there too. I re-starched the quilt top and re-basted the new backing and it was all worth it. The quilting process is moving along and I am so much happier with this quilt. Lesson learned and I hope my seam ripper never has to work that hard again.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 AM

If you have a good sharp ripper make sure you put the end with the little ball on it inside the seam(facing down) that you are going to rip out & it should just glide along like crazy. Someone posted a tute on here (I think it was here) & since I tried her method, boy the stitches just fall apart & with the little ball against the seam, there is little fear of tearing the fabric. I have one of the automatic seam rippers (battery powered) & I love it but this works just as well & fast.
I always wondered what that little ball was for...
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 AM

hahahahaha I'm cracking up laughing because I screwed up the same quilt last weekend TWICE .... I so feel your pain, it is NOT a fun place to be ... I'm sure the whole neighbourhood heard my very foul language that afternoon!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM

Been there! Sometimes I feel I have "ripped" more than I've "stitched" so I quietly walk away and close the door (so I don't see my machine when I walk back by the room). LOL
Old 03-21-2015, 08:21 PM

I was ripping out every 5 stitches or so on a seam then turning it over & pulling the long thread out. Don't know why I've been doing it wrong for so long but I watched a video of clipping the 1st 3 stitches then pointing the little ball up along the seam and with a little push it tore the entire seem apart, reckon this really makes it obvious i am a beginner. But I sure am happy to have discovered this after many hours of frogging!
Jeri
Oops had it backwards the little ball on seam ripper should be facing down not up in the seam, you have to try it out it rips those seams out like a hot knife through butter!

Last edited by oldtisme; 03-21-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: mistake