Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Southern CA quilt shops >

Southern CA quilt shops

Southern CA quilt shops

Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 AM

Default Southern CA quilt shops

Can you guess where I was yesterday! One of my favorite quilt shops to visit whenever I am in San Diego. I had a great afternoon playing in Rosie's fabric land.

Now I need advice from you - I am going to be in SD for the next five days for a conference and then driving up the coast to Santa Monica for a few days. What quilt shops should I not miss? I'll definitely visit Cozy Quilts while I'm here (can't wait to see the new location) but want to make sure I get to other can't-miss ones in So. CA. I love brights, modern quilts and batiks but am not a huge fan of civil war and Kansas troubles type fabric if that helps you steer me to the shops I would most like.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

P.S. Sorry for the sideways picture - that's never happened before and I cannot seem to rotate it when it uploads.
Attached Thumbnails rosies-quilt-shop.jpg  

Last edited by IrishNY; 03-07-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:05 AM

Well Rosie's is the best in San Diego by far. You might try Aretoys in oceanside. Or quilt in a day in San Marcos. Quilt in a day has a whole room of reduced price quality fabric. Neither are close to the freeway though. North county San Diego area.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM

Looks like there's a shop hop going on down there until the 8th? http://www.cruisinquilters.com/html/stores.html
Old 03-07-2015, 08:46 AM

Thimblebug, there is a shop hop. I can find lots of quilt stores here in So. CA, but don't have time to visit all and want to get to the ones that other quilters rate as a can't miss.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Well, My favorite So CA quilt shop is M&L Fabrics. There have been many posts about this quilt store on this website. It is located on the southeast corner of Ball and Knott. About 2 miles south of the Riverside freeway. Some batiks from Robert Kaufman are $5.99 a yard. Another excellent quilt store is called Quilter's Cocoon in Riverside of the 91 frwy.:
http://www.quilterscocoon.com/

So many of the better LQS have unfortunately closed these past 5 years. Quilt in a Day would be a must stop and so is Cozy Quilts. I don't drive but told all my quilting friends that a trip there is all I want for my birthday. Also one I really like was Fat Quarters that will probably be in the San Diego run. You might want to Google and see from any photos if they have the fabric you prefer.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:16 PM

Quilt in a day San Marcos it's huge and her sale fabrics room is the size of many quilt shops 1955 Diamond st San Marcos. It's in an industrial area so don't panic your probably in the right place
Old 03-07-2015, 05:33 PM

I love Bits and Pieces in Poway. http://www.sewsandiego.com It's tucked away in an industrial park, but wonderful people. They're on the shop hop list right now. But if you're from Winston-Salem, I'm sure you know Mary Jo's!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:42 PM

There is also :

Memory Lane Quilt Shop
1626 N. Magnolia Avenue
El Cajon, CA 92020
(619) 562-2288

It sounds like you are going to have a great trip.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:43 PM

Love going to Rosie's Such a great place.

I am north of Santa Monica so I am not sure what is open any more. Several of my favorites are no longer in business

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:28 AM

I agree - M&L's is a must!!! They also have a smaller sister store - Jenny's - off the 405 in Fountain Valley.