Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
space bags and quilts??? >

space bags and quilts???

space bags and quilts???

Old 06-10-2015, 03:36 AM

I've too have too many quilts....and have used those space bags with no permanent damage to quilts....just air fluff in dryer and good as gold again! But, a few times I have had one or two leak and air gets back into them..so they are not foolproof!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:48 AM

Space bags are perfect as I tend to make quilts with low loft batting. I've been using them since they hit the retail market. I do recycle my quilts throughout the year so they all get a chance to breathe and hang on my outside line.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:03 AM

I am like Tartan and 'store' them on the guest bed. When company comes, they can put any they don't want to use on a small box that sits under the window. Works for me. BUT I also am questioning making the bed size quilts. I think I'll be more into the smaller size like KalamaQuilts.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I store a few under the bed in plastic zipper bags. They aren't space bags - no squeezing. I have a bunch of my grandma's wool quilts in there and a few of my own. I'd like to find a pair of nice big cedar chests for the foot of the bed but so far nothing even remotely affordable has come my way. My gran stored her wool quilts wrapped in sheets and put into cedar chests; I loved how they smelled when she'd first give them to me.
If you can find the right sized chest, buy a 4x8 sheet of cedar board, cut to fit the inside of the chest==cedar chest to store the quilts in. Do the same as your Gran did and all will be well.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 AM

I have stored quilts, down comforters and bedspreads in space bags. I have never had any problems. I do take them out once a year and fluff them. I've never had a plastic smell or any smell for that matter. There are many different manufacturers of space bags. They are expensive but get the name brand ones. The cheaper ones may be the smelly ones. Make sure your quilt is washed and dried without fabric sheets before you space bag them. I know a lot of people do not wash their fabric before sewing it so maybe that is some of the odor when it's taken out of the bag. I also space bag a lot of my extra fabric, especially fleece. Just keep in mind that little bundle of space bagged fabric still weights a ton. I put 45 yards in one and then couldn't lift it without hurting myself.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:17 AM

I use space bags when I ship a large quilt, but have never stored any in them.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tudey View Post
I use space bags when I ship a large quilt, but have never stored any in them.
That is really smart; thanks for the tip!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:24 PM

I have a very small home but this may be something that I may look into..I like the idea of displaying them... It would have to be something that would be easy to do or I may have one of my friends set it up, with my health problems I don't get around very well and this is why I spend so much time sewing and quilting, it really keeps me happy and going strong....Thanks again everyone..

Originally Posted by silliness View Post
If I had so many beautiful quilts, I would want to display them. I would get one of those quilt display ladders that butts up against the wall. They don't seem to take up much room and you can look at and touch all of your amazing creations whenever you want.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 AM

I stored some purchased quilts in these space bags for a year. When I opened the bag the quilt smelled of the plastic I have aired it outside for over a week and I can still smell the odor. I got rid of all my "space" bags and would NOT recommend them other than for travelling.....they might work then for short distances.