Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Speaking of flannel..... >

Speaking of flannel.....

Speaking of flannel.....

Old 08-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default Speaking of flannel.....

I have come across a nice piece of old flannel from a longtime quilter who gave it to me.
It is the most wonderful feeling flannel! Thick as two pieces of what we can buy today, dense, good hand, comforting, substantial. I could use flannel like this as batting, especially in a summer quilt.
I want more!

Does anyone have any idea where I can find such? I believe flannel is graded by 'weight', like 5 ounces or 8 ounces, or something like that??? Help!

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 08-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 PM

I just used a piece of Moda marble flannel that I thought the same thing about. It feels luscious. I found it at an estate sale of a quilter, so I have no idea how old it was.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:21 PM

I found some scraps I had left from making my three girls "granny" nightgowns about twenty years ago...and they are like that also. Unfortunately, there's not enough to do a quilt of any size with it or I'd be right in the middle of it. Wonder if we'll ever see that quality again?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I wish! Like everything else, fabric isn't what it used to be. On a more positive note, at least I don't have to pick the cotton, card it, spin it and weave it into cloth. I guess it's all about perspective.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM

They still must make very heavy flannel because we bought a set of flannel sheets last winter for our bed and they are SO THICK and soft and lucious. We bought them at Target. So, some company makes nice flannel. They did not seem to shrink but they were a red plaid and they did make the mattress pad turn pink - even though I washed and dried the sheets first - knew better than not to wash first - especially with the red in it.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I googled 8 oz. flannel fabric and discovered that it IS still made....for drapery lining! Who knew! Or I could just buy flat sheets, it comes in sheets in that weight, too, as some of you found. Years ago I bought a flannel "mattress pad" from Land's End (I thought) and it is even heavier. I often use it as a bottom sheet in the winter.

But, I still want a shop where it comes in colors by the yard.......

Jan in VA