Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Speaking at a guild meeting for the first time-HELP!! >

Speaking at a guild meeting for the first time-HELP!!

Speaking at a guild meeting for the first time-HELP!!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Speaking at a guild meeting for the first time-HELP!!

I've been asked to speak for 30-45 mins. at a quilt guild meeting, and especially talk about the super easy method for mitering borders, with stripes matched at every corner. The meeting will be about 1 1/2 hrs. drive from home. They have asked me how much I would charge and I have no idea. Anyone help me with how to determine an amount????

It's possible that I may teach a session that afternoon to a portion of the group. For that I would charge $15 each-about a 2 hr. class.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

What a validation of your skills! Charge travel expenses (mileage/gas) and ask to be taken to lunch with guild members before your afternoon class; then charge what you are comfortable with, maybe $50-75 if this is your first such experience. Be sure to show some of your quilts -- everybody loves a trunk show!

Do you know what this guild usually pays their speakers, or can you ask? Try not to undersell yourself.

Jan in VA
Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

At my guild the min. paid for a speaker is $50 up to $350 plus mileage and lunch included. Workshops fees are from $100 to $750 per day. I would charge at least $100 for the 1/2 day workshop. We pay .60 a mile.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Wow, what a honor. I hope it goes well for you. Public speaking is not my forte but I admire people who can. Charge for your time traveling there and gas money for both ways. Is it something you may want to do again? If it is something you are dreading, charge accordingly.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. That definitely gives me a place to start.

I was a Home Economics (Family Consumer Science-for the younger crowd) teacher for 31 years and retired early 8 yrs ago. I have since been teaching in the local quilt store and through the county park dept with a friend. Although I have spoken to a little larger than class size group, my preference has always been teaching lab classes and small groups.
Becuase of facebook a former student (class of '81) found me and has been quilting because of a project she did in my class. That was the real honor and validation for my years of teaching. It has been wonderful being in touch with her and meeting her quilt friends. This would be for her quilt guild in Toledo, Oh and probably 50-60 at the most. I told her I could do it if I was talking about quilts and quilting. Several of them had been in my class at the Schoolhouse sessions at the Shipshewana Quiltfest and want me to especially talk about how to make the easy mitered corner with stripes matching. That would be the class in the afternoon, too.

Your answers have been very helpful. Wish me luck.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 AM

Good luck. I think it is a great honor to be asked to do this. You must have been a super teacher!!
Sue
Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 AM

I agree with Jan in VA: don't undersell yourself! Check to see what the guild usually pays their speakers before setting your price. And your suggestion for your class fee is tooooooooo low!! I would say $25-35 for the class, and that's a bargain at that price! You are not only giving your expertise, but also your personal attention & direction. Good luck & enjoy the day!!