Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Special type of batting for a baby quilt >

Special type of batting for a baby quilt

Special type of batting for a baby quilt

Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Lightbulb Special type of batting for a baby quilt

Hi, would like some input on what type of batting to use for a baby quilt. I know it will probably be washed more often than other quilts & would prefer a "fluffier type" compared to warm and natural. Appreciate all opinions ~ thanks !
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM

I use Hobb's Heirloom 80/20. It holds up well and gives the quilting nice definition. Some of the first baby quilts I made are 10 years old and they're still in great shape.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 PM

I've used numerous types of batting for baby quilts & always end up going back to medium loft poly. It just seems to hold up well & most of the mothers like the puffiness of it (I prefer my quilts flatter, but...).
Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 AM

A poly will wear well and dry faster than a cotton... but if you really like a cotton .. Hobbs 80/20 is a great choice.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 AM

Thumbs up

Quilter's Dream Batting makes the only flame retardant batting on the market. From now on I will be using it in ALL baby quilts and charity quilts for invalids. It is an article on tests re fire retardant and quilt battings from the International Machine Quilters Association. Scoll down the article begins on page 3.

http://www.imqa.org/media/uploads/20...Fall2011_1.pdf
Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 AM

I use poly for anything that will be washed often..there are choices of loft for the fluffiness
Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 AM

I've been using wool batting on all of the baby quilts that I've been doing. I don't do any thing special to it in terms of washing. I wash it like any other quilt. In fact, right now my son is using a quilt with a wool batting. He is 3 and while he uses the toilet 100% of the time during the day, he still has accidents at night and sometimes during nap time. So that quilt is washed A LOT. I've had no shrinking, bearding or any other problems with the wool.

I like wool batting for many reasons but one big benefit is that the burn resistance is superior to any of the other batting materials. I do not like the idea of using anything with fire retardant chemicals on anything that a baby uses. I just don't believe the chemicals are safe for anyone let alone developing babies. I wash all of the children's bedding and pajamas with the strongest regular detergent that I have to remove as much of those chemicals as possible.

Also, wool breathes better and helps to regulate the temperature nicely and is lightweight. I know that some people may bring up the issue of wool allergies but that is not usually an issue with high quality commerically prepared battings. People that react to wool are primarily reacting to lanolin left in the wool or the chemicals that are used in the processing of the wool.

Also, with the wool batting, it has a nice loft when quilted yet remains light and fluffy. I use Hobbs wool and Dream wool. I like them both.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Quilter's Dream Poly is one I have seen frequently recommended for children's quilts. It is light in weight, holds up well, and dries faster than cotton.

My favorite is an oldie -- Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton -- but it is thinner than what you want. My oldest baby quilt was made with that batting and, after numerous washings, much use, a weathered binding, faded fabrics, etc. it is still treasured by its owner. What I especially like about it is that the batting got softer with every washing; after 10 years, it felt like a cloud!

I would not want to use a flame-retardent batting in baby quilts because of the added chemicals in the fabric. With all the chemicals already in our environment, I don't see it as a good idea to have a young child in close contact (and probably breathing in) additional chemicals from a batting. Flames are more of a problem with single layer fabrics such as nightgowns and drapes where air can reach both sides of the fabric to feed the fire. If you have ever seen a movie where a flame touches the bottom of a flimsy curtain, that demonstrates the danger. In a child's nightgown that brushes against an open flame, the resulting burst of fire will engulf the child, including face and hair, before anyone has a chance to move to put the fire out. A quilt, in contrast, is thick and will tend to smolder for a long time (and not burst into flame) because less air is reaching the combustible materials; this gives time to move the quilt away from the person. Cotton burns to ash, whereas polyester melts and forms sticky beads that are difficult to get off the skin and can cause 3rd degree burns. Not sure if this makes a practical difference in a quilt, since the batting is enclosed in fabric.

People have different preferences for batting. My favorite batting remains the MM Blue Ribbon, but I often use Hobbs 80/20 instead -- especially when I want a little more loft.

Last edited by Prism99; 06-06-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Quilter's Dream Poly is one I have seen frequently recommended for children's quilts. It is light in weight, holds up well, and dries faster than cotton.

My favorite is an oldie -- Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton -- but it is thinner than what you want. My oldest baby quilt was made with that batting and, after numerous washings, much use, a weathered binding, faded fabrics, etc. it is still treasured by its owner. What I especially like about it is that the batting got softer with every washing; after 10 years, it felt like a cloud!

I would not want to use a flame-retardent batting in baby quilts because of the added chemicals in the fabric. With all the chemicals already in our environment, I don't see it as a good idea to have a young child in close contact (and probably breathing in) additional chemicals from a batting. Flames are more of a problem with single layer fabrics such as nightgowns and drapes where air can reach both sides of the fabric to feed the fire. If you have ever seen a movie where a flame touches the bottom of a flimsy curtain, that demonstrates the danger. In a child's nightgown that brushes against an open flame, the resulting burst of fire will engulf the child, including face and hair, before anyone has a chance to move to put the fire out. A quilt, in contrast, is thick and will tend to smolder for a long time (and not burst into flame) because less air is reaching the combustible materials; this gives time to move the quilt away from the person. Cotton burns to ash, whereas polyester melts and forms sticky beads that are difficult to get off the skin and can cause 3rd degree burns. Not sure if this makes a practical difference in a quilt, since the batting is enclosed in fabric.

People have different preferences for batting. My favorite batting remains the MM Blue Ribbon, but I often use Hobbs 80/20 instead -- especially when I want a little more loft.
Thanks for the info - I have previously used Mt. Mist 100% poly & do not know how well it held up - it is available at A.C. Moore. I will head up there shortly to check out what they have in cotton or a blend. I was taught to use the 100% poly for a baby quilt not that long ago but have gotten some negative comments from other quilters. Am really just a beginner so appreciate your help. Thanks!

Last edited by berrypatch; 06-06-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by berrypatch View Post
Hi, would like some input on what type of batting to use for a baby quilt. I know it will probably be washed more often than other quilts & would prefer a "fluffier type" compared to warm and natural. Appreciate all opinions ~ thanks !
Thank you for all the info !!