Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spool of thread instead of a wound bobbin? >

Spool of thread instead of a wound bobbin?

Spool of thread instead of a wound bobbin?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 PM

Make my dream come true. That is the only thing I dislike about my mid-arm. I hate when I get at the end of a row and realize my bobbin ran out back at the beginning!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 AM

it would probably screw up the tention big time LOL
Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 AM

Hi JNCT14,
Food for thought....Maybe you and several others who have much more experience than myself, could conglomerate your ideas, seek manufacturers of sewing machines, and give them food for thought with improvements to better their machines. Improvements, and ease for users, of their products results in more sales; and more satisfied customers, who by word of mouth cause more sales, and even more satisfied customers. Most manufacturers usually reward their source for their information of improvement ideas. However, you may need to go through a lawyer just to make sure your ideas, if ever used, you will indeed be compensated for your creativity.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM

Recently at the Viking convention a LQS owner mentioned this so that you don't have to change the bobbin constanly and they looked at her like she was crazy. My thing is that if it can be done on a serger they should be able to do it with a machine. Alot of people like piecing on sergers for this very reason; you never run out of bobbin thread.

By the way, alot of thier previous ideas that were sneered at were done eventually were done. Of course they never got credit for but I'm sure glad they did them because it lets me enjoy sewing and emb a lot more.

Last edited by romanojg; 11-09-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Red face I have the Bernina 820 and it has a very large bobbin.

The Bernina 820 has a very large bobbin. You can fill it any percentage of thread that you want. There is a screen that tells you how full you are filling it and another screen that comes up when you get down to 20% and counts down until you are out of thread and it quits sewing. One of my other machines keeps sewing and sewing even when I run out of thread. Frustrating. I haven't looked at much about the 700 series, but I can tell you that i love the 820! It does everything but make dinner!!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Hi just read your post I tried that with my FAF and the thread on the spool kept getting caught in the feed dog didn't work I don't think it would be a good idea to put a spool down in your machine
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM

when I talked to someone at the Bernina store, they said it holds 80% more thread!
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I don't know what machine you have but on mine there is an opening in the top of the case that the needle goes down into and then the bobbin hook completes the stitch. I would think that the needle would hit the spool. The new Bernina 750 has a bobbin about twice the size of a regular bobbin. It is a nice machine but I just bought my 440 so no new machine in my future.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Would your manual not tell you if that could be done? "I feel your pain"..haha..cause my emb machine drove me nuts with the message that bobbin was low..yet when I ck'd it would be half full. I finally adjusted the bobbin case/laser and now it is only a couple of yards from being empty when the message comes up. Plus, I've discovered the prewound bobbins have LOTS more thread than our machines will wind!
My Pfaff Creative Sensation sews with the prewound bobbins - and when it says the bobbin is empty, and I know it isn't, I ignore it and just sew until the end of whatever I'm sewing. I've become pretty good at judging when it will really run out of thread- :O:/
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 PM

My hubby has been saying for yrs that a machine should be made with WHOLE spool as a bobbin --like the antique 2 spool. He always asks "I wonder why they didn't catch on "
Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM

I have found prewound bobbins have a lot more thread and you just pop them in and you are on the way.