Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sports quilt >

Sports quilt

Sports quilt

Old 01-08-2015, 04:49 AM

Default Sports quilt

Can anyone help me decide on a multi sports quilt for my grandson? He has four different sports which he is interested in. The problem I'm having is with the colors. Detroit Lions is a medium blue , gray and white, UofM is bright yellow with navy, Tigers are navy and orange and the fourth is soccer. No special teams for soccer so I thought I'd make it USA. Need to wait for the Detroit Tigers fabric.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

What, no Red Wings? Are you getting team fabric prints or just using the colors? Might want to consider a reversible quilt. Maybe maize & blue plus orange & navy on one side & the hawaiian blue, grey & red white & blue on the other. Simple blocks. Oh, look. If you have RW & B, you have the Wings' red & white.
Bind, border & sashing (if used) in a single neutral color: white, grey or black.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
What, no Red Wings? Are you getting team fabric prints or just using the colors? Might want to consider a reversible quilt. Maybe maize & blue plus orange & navy on one side & the hawaiian blue, grey & red white & blue on the other. Simple blocks. Oh, look. If you have RW & B, you have the Wings' red & white.
Bind, border & sashing (if used) in a single neutral color: white, grey or black.
Hard to believe! You should just include the Red Wings, and encourage him to become a fan :-)
Old 01-08-2015, 11:58 AM

I made my grand son a sport quilt for Christmas , I used one of the big block quilt patterns. I used a diff fabric for all the big squares. And of coarse I had to include Michigan state fabric! Found three or four diff patterns for that one! It had to be a king size so lots of extra blocks...since Christmas they have him back in a twin bed...! Oh well, he can grow into it! Make sure you post a pic when you are done! What part of Mi are you in? I'm in Howell, little snow but really cold !
Old 01-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Oh yes, you must include hockey!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 PM

I'm sorry I don't have skill in producing pictures but I'll try to explain what I did for an "all-sports" quilt for our grandson's high school graduation. I didn't use the school colors. Instead, since he was going to be enlisting in the Marines, I used a patriotic theme instead, but I used navy, wine, and beige. Did the whole quilt in rail fence. Then, for each sport I did a picture of him in that sport's uniform (track, football, baseball). These pictures were framed with a narrow border. I also made appliques of footballs, baseballs, and track shoes which I backed with a thin batting. It gave them dimension. All of these were appliqued randomly throughout the quilt top. He loved it.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:25 AM

I should include the Red Wings and the Pistons maybe even Mi. State. His favorite is UofM. I'd like to use the team fabric but am having trouble getting Detroit Tigers. JoAnn's said it should be coming out soon. Thank you for your ideas....I'll post a pic when I'm done. Usually takes me a while to finish one. Right now I'm just making a soccer shadow quilt for the games so I can use the quilt on the colder games. I'll be getting some of the other teams fabric too. Once again thanks. I'm from Marysville, Mi. Not so much snow but on the colder side.

Last edited by Patski-Mi.; 01-09-2015 at 05:28 AM.