Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray baste or pin >

Spray baste or pin

Spray baste or pin

Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Spray Baste!!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Is this topic posted twice or have I don't gone and lost my mind. If posted twice you will all figure out why I ask this question.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 PM

I recently discovered spray basting and will never pin again! Must remember that a little goes a long way! And if you are doing a larger quilt, it is handy to have a couple extra hands to help hold and smooth as you work....and husbands aren't always the best help...LOL.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

I have found that spray basting helps prevents puckers.

HOWEVER, in my experience what helps prevent puckers even more is heavily starching the backing fabric before layering, and spray starching the top before layering. For the backing fabric, I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution on the fabric to saturation, toss in dryer, and iron with steam. Believe me, that fabric is *not* going to stretch or distort while machine quilting! :-D

Spray starching the stop helps keep the top fabrics from stretching. This is especially important when doing cross-hatch type machine quilting where lines will cross.

Just be aware that some combinations of starched fabric/polyester batting/spray baste do not hold together well. I have not had any problem using 100% cotton batting and 505 basting spray, even with heavy starch. Some people have reported problems with spray basting adhering to starched fabrics and/or poly batting; however, I think in all these cases it was other than 505 basting spray.

Edit: I should add that I never stretch my backing or top. If spray basting, it's enough to make sure it is laid out smoothly. I do use clamps to keep the backing from moving out of position while I baste. Be aware that there are techniques for spray basting that make the process very easy and minimize overspray and cleanup. But that is the topic for another thread!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by valsma
Is this topic posted twice or have I don't gone and lost my mind. If posted twice you will all figure out why I ask this question.
Twice, I think. I had the same deja vu experience.....
Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 PM

I like to starch my backing pretty heavily and I use spray baste. I lay the batting down and put the backing on top of it. I can see if there are any wrinkles better that way. After I get that done, I flip it over and put on the back.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Some one here posted about using binder clips to clip the layers onto a card table and pin it, then move the quilt around to get it all pinned. I did this on my last twin size and it worked GREAT, no puckers at all and it was much easier on my back.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 AM

Perhaps you might have more success with the powdered glue?You sprinkle the glue between the layers and iron to activate it. You could try it out on a sample and see how you like it. It seems to me that it might be less trouble than the spray. I personally spray all of my quilts and I love it.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 AM

Thanks for asking. The feedback helps us new quilters
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 AM
Vat

Have you tried starching your backing to help prevent puckers and tucks? I starch everything before I start cutting. And I spray baste with 505.