Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray basting on cotton batting >

Spray basting on cotton batting

Spray basting on cotton batting

Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Default Spray basting on cotton batting

I've just completed a full-size quilt top for my daughter and will be doing basting next. Going to spray bast as there's no way I'm going on all fours on the floor to bast with pins! As quilt is pretty huge, would spray basting hold the sandwich in place? Which brand of basting spray would you recommend? I think it'll be a challenge basting the quilt too.

The other question I have, I would like to try cotton batting this round as I've always only worked with polyester batting. Does cotton adhere as well as polyester for spray basting? I've heard good reviews about the Warm and Natural cotton batting. Is this a good choice to get? Jo-ann is having 40% off packaged battings now.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 PM

I use Sullivan's spray baste (from Hancock's Fabrics) on W&N with excellent results.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 PM

I use June Tailor basting spray with Warm and Natural batting all the time. It works for me.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM

I use 505 spray for my basting.

One tip, spray the cotton not the batting. Batting will soak it up, you don't have to use much, just a light mist on the cotton and slap that batting in place.

I lay out my backing (right side down), spray lightly, place the batting on and smooth it out.

Then I lay my top face down, spray the back lightly, and place the already stuck together batting and batting on top of that and smooth.

I don't have the floor room so for larger quilts I go to the quilt shop and use their tables in the back room, they allow us to do that and its big enough to spray and smooth without difficulties.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
I use 505 spray for my basting.

One tip, spray the cotton not the batting. Batting will soak it up, you don't have to use much, just a light mist on the cotton and slap that batting in place.

I lay out my backing (right side down), spray lightly, place the batting on and smooth it out.

Then I lay my top face down, spray the back lightly, and place the already stuck together batting and batting on top of that and smooth.

I don't have the floor room so for larger quilts I go to the quilt shop and use their tables in the back room, they allow us to do that and its big enough to spray and smooth without difficulties.
Thanks for the great advice. Does the 505 spray cause the needle to gum up when doing machine quilting? I heard that some brands of spray gum up the needle pretty badly.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 AM

I just started using the 505 and it did not gum up the needle as much as the June Tailor did. I like it alot. Works great on the cotton batting. I spray in a grid pattern about 6-8" apart and it holds a large quilt together well. I do safety pin the edges every foot or so. I do not have a dedicated quilting area and have to pack everything up at the end of the day, so it gets a lot more handling while being quilted.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 AM

Actually, cotton batting adheres better than polyester. I use Sullivan's with a light hand. Protect against overspray.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:39 AM

Sorry I can't help. I've never used basting spray before. But, may have to start. Like you said, its hard getting down on all fours in the floor. I'm not as agile as I used to be.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 AM

One question from a noob - is basting spray just glue in a mist? Does it wash off like good ol' Elma glue?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I spray baste all the time using the spray baste from Walmart, June Tailor. I use warm and natural batting or 80/20 hobbs. I made just over the last year 4 very large quilts that were from 120x120 to 100x100. The spray baste works great. I then quilted them on my Janome 6500. Yes, definitely use a light hand. I do like to pin some pins along the edge to make sure noting doubles over on the back.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 07-11-2012 at 05:11 AM.