Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
spray basting failure! >

spray basting failure!

spray basting failure!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM

Default spray basting failure!

Hi
I have used spray basting in the past with no trouble, but this time something is just not right! My quilt is 100% cotton, w/a 100% cotton broadcloth for the backing. I spray basted it and the front is sticking just fine but not the back. I thought maybe I had not sprayed enough so I redid the backing, but no it still is not sticking!!! Any ideas? Could it be something w/the fabric itself? I would not think it is the spray since the front is sticking fine. The brand is Dritz Basting Spray that I picked up at Wal-Mart. I have had it for a year or more, but again the front is sticking fine, just not the back!

Thanks for any ideas.
Jenna
Old 03-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

it must be the fabric. i would think so at least. is the backing fabric washed? and if so, did you add softener?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Are you sure the backing is cotton? You can do a burn test. take about a 1" square of fabric, hold in in a pair of tongs & use a match to light a corner. Do this over the sink with the water running. Let it burn for a second or two, then put it under running water. If there is any poly in the fabric, there will be a bump in the burned edge where the poly melted rather than burn. I haven't had an issue with cotton fabric and batting. Hopefully someone else may have an explanation.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:17 PM

I was told it was 100% cotton, but I did not do a burn test, maybe I should.

No, I have not washed the fabric, but I think I will!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:22 PM

I am guessing the unwashed backing fabric must have some sort of sizing or other finish on it that is keeping the spray baste from adhering. Let us know what happens after you wash it. I have never had this happen, so am just guessing here.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

If you used starch to iron your backing it may also interfere. I use Dritz and never had a problem with it and some of it has sat on my shelf for over a year and still works.

Are you spraying the fabric or batting? Spray the fabric not the batting. Batting is very hollow and the spray goes into the hollows and so has less sticky area to grip. Fabric is flat and has more area to hold the spray where it needs to be.
Try this on a scrap and let us know how it worked.
peace
Old 03-05-2015, 05:54 PM

If all else fails I would use school glue on the back. Let it dry for a few hours and that should work.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:12 PM

Here is a link that has the technique I use to baste my quilts. http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/03/...g-your-quilts/
Old 03-05-2015, 06:17 PM

Be careful with spraying the backing fabric - it was Sullivan's but I sprayed it on white fabric and it stained. And it did not wash out. I wrote to Sullivan's and no one responded. So I won't buy it again.

It is my guess there is something wrong with the spray. It is possible too there is a sizing on your fabric. Let us know what happens after you wash it.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:09 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I thought all "broadcloth" fabric was a blend. Hmmm, got to google/research that.

Okay, found "100% cotton broadcloth" at Joanns, but it also says it's "permapress"....which tells me it's a treated fabric which would likely have interfered with your spray.

Jan in VA