Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: spray basting for hand quilting?

Blog Entries

spray basting for hand quilting?

I recently fell in love with using spray basting when I am machine quilting. I finished my hand pieced farmer's wife quilt and would like to know if anyone used spray basting for hand quilting? any issues, or work arounds that they found out? thank you!!! Leona
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I have used it and it works ok for me. I was complaining one day to a hand quilting friend that I hate to sandwich a quilt. I don't like to pin or baste and spraying has it's over spray issues. She said to lay out the backing, batting and top; smooth it; put the hoop in the center and begin hand quilting working out from the center. It has worked so nicely I am almost finished with my quilting and no puckers, tucks, etc. I'm sure happy I tried it.

Banned
    I used it on a baby quilt that I handquilted; seemed fine, no trouble, I did it very lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    I have used it and it works ok for me. I was complaining one day to a hand quilting friend that I hate to sandwich a quilt. I don't like to pin or baste and spraying has it's over spray issues. She said to lay out the backing, batting and top; smooth it; put the hoop in the center and begin hand quilting working out from the center. It has worked so nicely I am almost finished with my quilting and no puckers, tucks, etc. I'm sure happy I tried it.
    I also work to smooth as I quilt. I found that if I work from the center and smooth as I go, I have no problems. I will put a few pins to just make it easier to handle as I work, since most of my quilts are large.

I use it all the time for hand quilting. No problems!!

Blog Entries
    I also use it for handquilting as well as for FMQ. I also DON'T use a hoop or frame when I handquilt. I've never had any problems with the 505 spray and I don't have puckers either.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    I've never used basting spray for hand quilting, but I like 505 when machine quilting. I will have to give it a try!
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Blog Entries
    I have spray basted and hand quilted it and I loved it.
    HisPatchwork